Go Bottom Go Bottom

DK35 40 45 Broken Housings and Prices

View my Photos
ToyFord
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-07          63341

I am considering getting a DK40 or DK 45 w/ a loader. One thing holding me back is the broken frames/housing discussed in the attached link. Anyone know if the occurances are common or one in a million types of events?

Also I had a dealer quote my the following prices (all w/ agg tires and SMC HD FELs) :DK35 $18100, DK40 $19100, DK45 w/remotes, $20900. Prices seem steep to me compared to Kubota's Grand L line. Any opionons on the prices?

Link:   Broken DKs

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63355

My father is looking at some Kioti's to replace some tractors that were crushed when the equipment shed collapsed during a snow storm earlier this year. Is this bell housing breakage a freak occurance or is has this happened on more tractors? So far, I have heard nothing but great things about the Kioti's from owner's. I know the New Holland tractors have this problem as well with the back hoe installed. Was not aware it was an issue with the Kioti's. Any comments or thoughts on this? ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-09-08          63413

I really don't know how common of a problem it is.
I have only seen a couple posts on the problem on tractor sites.But that doesn't mean they were the only ones !
I have a loader and 8 1/2' backhoe w/subframe on my DK 35.
No problems so far..
I don't know why tractor Mfg's. can't run frame rails to the back of a tractor instead of relying on the bellhousing for support. But they all seem to do it !!

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63417

One of the housing problems on the board was traced to a problem with the casting on the housing. Ie the break was rusted before the failure and probably had a internal flaw in the casting. It happens.
One had something loose in internally and caused damage to the casting. I had the same thing happen to a JD 750. One reason you need to check external bolts regularly.
The other we do not know that much about.
I know one dealer in AL that has sold hundreds of DK's and never seen one back. I am not sure you could say the same of all the brand's models out there. Kioti is pretty conservative engineering. A bit old school all you need to do is look at the weights of the tractors compared to other brands.
They are now making all the components and backing them with a good waranty. They are continually improving the dealer network and parts network. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-09          63433

We hear about the problems here maybe more than the success stories. As Peters points out you can't necessarily generalize from the content here to how good or how reliable a particular tractor is. It's still good to talk about both problems and successes though.

I think there are a few smaller tractors that have used frames. We've had that discussion here. If I recall the conclusion it is that castings are stronger per weight than mild steel, and steel also deflects under load. Apparently, to use a frame you end up a heavier and more bulky tractor, which may not be desirable in a compact.

Basically, you still need castings to hold shafts in alignment under load since deflection isn't desirable. I guess the conventional tractor design idea is that as long as you've got to have castings you can just make them strong enough to carry the whole load. Heavy equipment does tend to use frames. I don't know if transmissions are separated from differentials by u-joints and shafts or not, but such a design would make a tractor quite a bit longer.

View my Photos
fyrwyr

2003-09-30          65206

Does anyone know of a website that compares "compact" tractors' reliability? I think I want to buy a Kioti but want to know what problems have been experienced by owners.
Thanks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login