Go Bottom Go Bottom

Check the battery compartment on your Deere 4000 series CUT REGULARLY

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-17          98571

I finally got around to removing and inspecting under and behind my battery in my 4410 today. I noticed a bit of corrosion on the terminals and on some hardware so I figured I would clean it up before it became a big problem.

I removed the entire front grill and side panels to get at the battery and inspect the areas around the front oil cooler and engine radiator. I removed the battery hold down clamps which had some corrosion and when I removed the battery; I was surprised to see that the entire area directly behing the battery was clogged with dirt and clippings that were entirely blocking that section of the transmission oil cooler. I took a tooth brush to carefully remove the debry and noticed the aluminum fins were corroding by the white powder flaking off the oil cooler.

I sprayed everything down with some orange blaster spray cleaner and pressure washed the entire area. This got down to clean aluminum which I touched up with black spray paint.

The battery terminals, I soaked in a solution of hot water and baking soda until there was no bubbling or fizzing and then cleaned with a wire brush battery cleaning brush.

Any exposed metal such as bolts, clamps, nut plates, etc. I treated with CPC (corrosion prevention compound which is a spray on compound that penetrates the metal and dries to a waxy finish).

I topped the battery up with DISTILLED water and cleaned the terminals on the battery and reinstalled it. I sprayed the battery terminals with a good coating of CPC to prevent any new corrosion.

Looks good as new and runs like a champ. I even got to spend an hour or so chopping up leaves before the dinner bell rang.

I STRONGLY recommend you check this area at least every 6 months as it is VERY prone to corrosion and the oil cooler could sustain serious damge if left untreated and cleaned for very long.

I eventually plan to get a sealed AGM Optima type battery when this one craps out. In the mean time I have installed a one piece battery cap with a vent tube on the side and a plastic tube zip tied to it so as to vent the battery fumes and gases away from the battery and radiator. kwschumm showed me this fix. MANY thanks Ken! I think the corrosion damage that I found was caused by the out gassing of the battery prior to my installing the one piece battery cap with the vent hose.

It would be a good maintenance practice to check this area after each use regardless of brand of model if your battery is mounted in front of the radiator. As the battery charges; it out gases corrosive fumes and vapors that can be drawn into the radiator.

Best option is to replace the battery with an AGM Optima type battery if you can find one that will fit and has the correct cold cranking amp capacity. None are out there yet for my 4410 yet as far as I know but I am always looking.

This inspection would be a great winterization inspection as well in my opinion. It certainly couldn't hurt to check and gain some peace of mind.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bigpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-17          98582

Very good advice. I dropped a new Optima yellow top D51 in my 4110 before my stock JD Strong Box battery had a chance to cause any problems. It's in my Gravely rider now and will get plenty of attention in that machine, as well. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-17          98591

I would have changed my battery out to an Optima if they made one that would work in my 4410. It takes a BCI Group 22NF battery. I have been able to find only one AGM type battery in that size but it is only 490 cold cranking amps. The Deere battery is 550 CCA. I have emailed them to ask it it would work. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-17          98598

The dimensions of the Optima D51 are not that far off from the Deere Strong Box BCI Group 22NF battery. The only issue I am concerned about are the hold down lugs on the side of the battery. Will the Deere OEM hold down clamps work on the sides of the D51 like on the Strong Box battery. The amperage specs. look good and will definitely works but the hold down lugs are a point I will have to look at further. Thanks for the tip by the way! ....

View my Photos
daveknowshow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-17          98606

how about a dry cell battery would that work they use them in race cars and racing boats i put one in my yota not sure the cracking amps but if i recall it was quite high. they are expensive though about 135 bucks and up ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-10-19          98779

You're welcome, but I picked up the tip from Ducati. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-19          98780

As far as a replacement sealed AGM type battery goes; the best and closest fitting replacement is the Optima D51R. This battery meets the size and amperage requirements but does not have the hold down lugs on the bottom sides of the battery like the Deere Strong Box battery does. You will have to fabricate some type of battery hold down bracket and securting hardware or perhaps some kind of adaptor blocks may work.

Link:   Optima D51R vs. D51

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-19          98781

The best prices I have found on the net so far is $114 with free shipping at TNA-Sports.

Link:   TNA Sports

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-19          98782

Remy Battery has them for $94.45 but shipping is extra.

Link:   Remy Battery

View my Photos
reason201

2004-10-21          98922

Just a hint...
Find you best price on-line and then go to Sears. I know our store carries the Optima batteries and the will often price match what you find on-line if you bring in a print out. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-10-21          98926

I have a 4300 and the exact same thing happened. I bought the tractor used and when inspecting it discovered the corrosion on the oil cooler. I used it as a barganing point and touched up the grill and battery as described earlier.
Cheers AB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login