Go Bottom Go Bottom

Block Heater Governor cover on 2210

View my Photos
b8fish
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-20          83709

Hi--for those of you who have done this or have any ideas, I am installing the block heater on my 2210, and am curious what the function of the governor cover (?) is. What does the governor do, and do I really need to put this cover on it? It looks like I need to remove the original--seems to have a threaded bolt in it, and then put this cover in its place. Thanks for any hints and ideas.
Todd

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-21          83785

A governor adjusts the throttle to keep the engine rpm set by the hand throttle constant over varying loads. Without knowing the engine, I imagine the reason for replacing the standard cover is that the factory one obstructs where the block heater has to be installed. ....

View my Photos
b8fish

2004-04-21          83804

Thanks Tom. And as a follow-up, the on-line parts says you need to order the cover, the dealers "brown book" does not, and the cover would eliminate the need ability to adjust the governor, so the part has been returned and block heater installed. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-21          83805

Here is a diagram showing the actual parts fit and why. Basically you are installing a threaded adaptor to thread the block heat into since the block is not threaded in that area. ....

Link:   click here

View my Photos
b8fish

2004-04-21          83815

Chief--thanks, that part I understood. Couldn't figure out why (with the block heater kit) JDParts required the governor cover as well, seems like it was a mistake in the on-line system. Here is the verbage from the parts site--COOLANT HEATER (MUST ALSO ORDER AM881476 GOVERNOR CASE COVER KIT). ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-21          83823

The plate is replaced by the threaded adaptor that the block heater threads into. Maybe I am not following what you mean. MowHoward has a 2210 and has installed the block heater I believe. He could give you first hand feed back. ....

View my Photos
b8fish

2004-04-21          83859

Well, here was the process I followed. Sanded off paint from the block in the area that the threaded adapter would attach to the block, drained all coolant into a clean bucket, tapped the plug out of the block, screwed on the threaded adapter, screwed in the actual block heater and then refilled the system. Since I could find no reason to use the "required" governor cover, returned it to the dealer (they couldn't find any reason to use it either). All in all it was pretty simple and straightforward, not wishing for winter to return, but can't wait to test it out! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login