Go Bottom Go Bottom

ballast box

View my Photos
abbeyroad154
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-24          53676

What material should I use to fill my ballast box so to add weight? Thanks, web.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ballast box

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-24          53681

Deere lists three materials for their ballast boxes:

Filled with sand it goes 616#,
Filled with concrete it weighs 780#
Filled with Portland Cement get it up to 1014#

They say that if more weight is needed, as it might be for that big bruiser you have, you can add an extension to the box and add other weights.

Do you frequently pull trailers with your tractor? ....

ballast box

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-24          53682

There seems to be two main schools of thought on the subject.

First is the 'portable' ballast, things like water, sand, gravel, scrap steel, etc., in a container on the 3pth. The advantage being it is easy to do, and can be adjusted or 'fine tuned' by adding or removing weight, or emptied to facilitate handling, transport, or to use as a carrier.

The second idea is the permanent fill method, concrete being the most common, probably because of it's availablity and low price. While it's easy to do, it is not very versatile.

There are as many styles, shapes & sizes as there are imaginations. I have even seen a fellow who used a surplus fuel tank off a semi-truck, the logic being when he was working the machine hard he always had a ready supply of diesel handy, I don't think it was agreat idea, but he did.

Probably the most common, least expensive, simplest method for DIY'ers is to put a drawbar through a plastic barrel and fill it with cement, since packaged material is sold by weight calculations on amounts are a snap.

Best of luck. ....

ballast box

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-24          53696

Yes there are many way to go about rear ballast. I have welded up a heavy frame that hooks up to the 3 point hitch and has steel plates that fit on 1 inch verticle rods. I can adjust the ballast by removing or adding weights, and get up to 1800 lbs or so of ballast. I also have chains hooked to the top link pin to take the strain off of the lift. Has worked great for many years. For instance, last weekend I lifted an old pick up truck onto a trailer with my loader. Worked great. ....

ballast box

View my Photos
benfranklin

2003-04-25          53768

Go with sand. You won't regret it. Dry it's good, wet it's better and you can easily dump it - you want to at the end of season so your box doesn't rust out. Of course a good older back blade works pretty well too - older means heavier. But go with sand. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login