Go Bottom Go Bottom

Reverse lights

View my Photos
TimInNH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-07          44718

Hi -

This is my first post here, and I don't even have my tractor (yet). Right now, I'm trying to get the best price between a couple of dealers on a John Deere 4410 with a front end loader and a 59" snowblower.
Plus, I've had a great time reading this discussion board and reading up on these tractors.
But, in all my reading and checking into these tractors, I noticed that there aren't any backup lights on them. And, if I'm out snowblowing the driveway at night, I'm thinking that this could be a problem.
Can anyone tell me if there is an aftermarket backup light for these? Thanks in advance and hopefully this isn't a stupid question...

- Tim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Reverse lights

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-07          44722

The lights are normally called equipment lights and can be purchased as an accessory. The only tractor that I know of that has them standard are the Kioti DK series.
The lights are not the difficult to connect and you can easily hook them up. There is some discussion on this in past posts. I think it is better to hook them in the ROP bar to provide more light on the work area. ....

Reverse lights

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-07          44724

Peters is right. JD offers a rear work light as an accessory. It attaches to the ROPS, right above the warning lights. I believe the cost is about 40 bucks a piece. They are wired into you light switch and come on when you turn the switch all the way on.

Billy ....

Reverse lights

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2002-11-07          44736

Rear worklighst are standard on new Branson's as well. Must be a Korean thing. It is a handy thing when you need it. Dave ....

Reverse lights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-08          44745

I installed generic work lights on the front and back of my canopy. I used residential AC junction boxes for the mounts since the 1/2" knockouts are just the right size for the light posts. I mounted the boxes underneath the canopy so the lights fold mostly under then canopy when not in use. That also means that I can still get the tractor into its shelter. I went 'over-kill' and used 16-gauge wire directly from the battery through a 10-amp in-line fuse. The lights have their own switches. People who mount lights on the ROSP tend to use various type straps. Any drilling and welding on ROPS's is strongly frowned upon by various official types. Well, I guess there's the mattress police too, but this really is a bit more serious issue.

Generic lights come in flood, trapezoidal and spot beam patterns. I choose flood patterns since I was more interested in inspecting things and making connections etc. than driving. I do have an additional narrower beam light that I haven't mounted. My idea was to mount it on the front of my snow blower with a plug-in connection to the tractor. The idea is that a light on the tractor is mostly going to illuminate snow coming out of the chute. I guess the light is still in its box because I haven't had to use the blower at night yet.

I do have a convenient outlet for plugging things into the tractor. I installed an AC twist lock receptacle as part of the light wiring under the canopy. I can put a twist lock plug on any 12V/< 10A accessory I need to plug in. I use it for a magnetic rotary flasher. In probably not an approved use, I put a twist lock plug on the end of a 1A-trickle charger to turn the outlet into an input for charging the battery.

Reverse lights

View my Photos
1st JD

2002-11-08          44761

I mounted an aftermarket flood light on my 4500. I used the bolt from the flashers which mount on the outside of the ROPS and mounted the back light on the inside. I ran a wire down the rops and connected it to the JD hookup provided. This light needed only 1 wire to power and other wire grounded. I put a switch on the mounting bracket between switch and ground so I can turn it off if I only want a front light. Cost for light and switch $15. Of course, it is not green and yellow... By the way, I am very pleased with my JD. Very smooth and capable machine. ....

Reverse lights

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-11-09          44785

Have your dealer order:

2) LV910502 rear worklight kits............ $38.00 US each.

1) LVB25236 ROPS Warning light brushgaurd....$38.00 US
(kit contains 2 gaurds, and they
are required to mount the lights)

Total $114.00 US

Ask your Dealer to add them to sweeten the deal.

Reverse lights

View my Photos
IRTEXN

2002-11-09          44796

TomG,
Thanks for the inspiration to install work lights. After reading your post, I went to TSC and got a couple for $9.95 ea. Turns out my little 4110 has a connection behind the seat for the factory llights and a switch position to turn them on so a couple of paddle connectors and I was in biz.
Thanks again ....

Reverse lights

View my Photos
TimInNH

2002-11-09          44803

Hi -

Thanks to all that replied to my question. I really appreciate it. This discussion board it great.
I'll surely have more questions, soon.

Thanks again.

- Tim ....

Reverse lights

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-10          44815

Thanks for the kind words. I think most newer compacts do have an accessory outlet somewhere near the seat that makes connections more convenient than mine. It's also probably a little safer since the feed from the battery is protected inside a wiring harness. I installed the in-line fuse holder in my lighting feed as close to the battery as I could get it to minimize the length of unprotected wire.

I could have installed the optional cigarette lighter to provide an fused outlet for accessories. However, I'm not sure I'd want to trust cigarette lighter plugs for anything critical. Twist lock plugs are much more secure. However, AC twist-locks also are very expensive and I would have looked for a 12V alternative if I didn't have some twist-locks left over from my days in the sound and lighting buz. I probably originally used it in out well-feed line (so a generator could be connected easily) before I installed a transfer switch, but that's another subject. The inspector looked at the twist-lock and said: 'Who put that there' and 'Get rid of it' in almost the same breath, and so I did.

One-wire systems are pretty standard in automotive wiring. The chassis supplies the ground. For huge lighting systems that would light up a field like daytime, concern about the ground path would be warranted and a separate ground return to the battery might be better. Stray currents running through engine components can erode engine bearings etc. However, this is mostly an issue for arc welding. The basic wisdom is 'never use a wheel for the ground clamp.'

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login