Go Bottom Go Bottom

Can JD 3320 handle 485 backhoe

View my Photos
Tiger12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-02          172764

I have a 2006 JD 3320 with 300 hours and want to add the 485 backhoe. I'd like to be able to use a 24 inch bucket in clay with this setup mainly for removing stumps. I'm concerned the tractor may not be large enough since it is at the low end of the horsepower rating for the 485 hoe. Does anyone know how the 3320 performs with the 485 hoe? I am considering trading the 3320 for a 3720 but it has the same hydraulic rating as the 3320 so I'm not sure if this would help.

thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-03          172773

I don't know the Deere line -- even the models made by Yanmar -- and I doubt my comments will be new to you, but

-You can use a bigger attachment than specified if you go easy with it, but I wouldn't ask a compact tractor to drive an excavator-size bucket (and wouldn't a narrower bucket stump better?)

-I hope there's a loader in front and a subframe underneath

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-08-03          172778

Tiger;
Your 3320 is a more modern version of my 4310, and a 485 hoe is a refined model of my model 48 Deere hoe. They make a good combination. I doubt that the bigger tractor will do much more for the hoe than your 3320 unless it may be a bit heavier to keep the hoe from sliding the tractor back on slipery clay conditions. In that situation I just fill the loader bucket with dirt and use it to lift the front wheels off the ground, that generates a bit more "Dead Man" weight to hold the tractor from sliding back. This doesn't happen when the stabilizers are on dry soil, only in real sloppy muddy mess conditions.
I have a 24 inch and a 12 inch bucket for mine, the 24 is right for most things but the 12 inch is handy for electric or waterline burial when ripping up as little of the yard as possible is a better situation.
You mention stump use, smaller 12 inch diamater or less stumps it makes pretty quick work of them, but the bigger the stump the longer it takes till you get to the real big ones, then it just won't do it, you need a regular size hoe for them.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-03          172798

Tiger, by chance you near Auburn with that name?

I have dug a good bit of pine and hardwood stumps that were up to 2 feet in diameter with a 5 ton excavator using a 24 inch bucket. Anything bigger and I know how to drive by it or know it will be a hole as big as the machine. Have a 30 inch bucket for loading dirt and have dug some stumps with it. It is amazing the difference between the two buckets when it comes to digging stumps. The wider the bucket the more dirt you are pulling and the wider the roots you are breaking. If I were buying a bucket for my machine to just dig stumps it would be either a 12 or 18 inch one.

BTW, smaller machines can dig stumps they can not lift out of the hole. Forget loading them over the side of a trailer or such. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login