Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 1070

View my Photos
BerlinBo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-05          169755

No starting when the key is turned. Starter, battery, relays all changed. The dealer is stumped. Current is going through all of the wires into and out of the starter.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 1070

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-05          169757

More details needed. Does it crank but not kick? Does it crank and kick but not run? Is there any smoke?

You need a new dealer, one that employ technicians instead of parts-changers.

JD 1070

View my Photos
BerlinBo

2010-04-05          169761

No crank. Only a clank at the starter. And only once. After trying to start, the relays don't click up, and the dash lights don't. After waiting awhile, the relays will work. With the new relays and battery, at least the lighting system works. ....

JD 1070

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-05          169762

I guess what I'd do is to make sure the battery cables and battery are rock solid and make sure all grounds are wire brushed clean and tight. If it still wouldn't crank then I'd try a set of jumper cables to a running vehicle and use a starter button to the solenoid to bypass the wiring. If it still wouldn't crank pull the starter and have it tested. If that doesn't work then the engine may be seized. Hope it doesn't get that far. ....

JD 1070

View my Photos
BerlinBo

2010-04-05          169781

The cables - there was corrosion under the positive cable insulation, after the crimped end. A lot of little things added up, but after unplugging and cleaning very many lines, and correcting the cable end, the almost 21 yr old is going again. The new starter is nice, as the old one was nearing its end. ....

JD 1070

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-04-06          169797

A little resistance here, a little more there, and soon there is no cranking. Glad to hear you got her going :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login