Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4300 dies when shifting forward or reverse

View my Photos
angmach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-11-06          166764

1999 JD 4300 intermittingly dies whenever I shift Sync Reverser lever to either forward or reverse. Will keep running if I put it back into nuetral position right away. Usually happens after starting, but has happened as I'm driving along or changing directions. Suspect sticky switch or interlock.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-11-07          166776

Somehow my tech manual has grown legs, I was going to trace the circuts for you. I know a couple other guys here have them so maybe they can chime in to help. My first guess would be the reverser switch its'self. Mine on the 4310 gets a bit goofy if I get too wild with the power washer. ....

View my Photos
angmach

2009-11-10          166815

Narrowed it down to the seat safety switch circuit. PTO also kills the engine. The previous owner snipped a bunch of wires ot the back of the tractor so I don't know which is for the seat. Checked with dealer for wire colors and what colors they told me are not to be found. did find 2 wires twisted together which I think may be it, but ran out of daylight to check for voltage, ground, etc. Possible relay in the circuit somewhere? ....

View my Photos
angmach

2009-11-11          166823

Got'r fixed. After talking with the dealership, I started checking the eng run relay and a diode block. I got proper voltage once. So I went to the wiring from the seat switch, used a jumper wire, and took it to the other end near the fuse block. Runs as advertised. Taped my connections and off I went. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-11          166824

Quote:
Originally Posted by angmach | view 166823
Got'r fixed. After talking with the dealership, I started checking the eng run relay and a diode block. I got proper voltage once. So I went to the wiring from the seat switch, used a jumper wire, and took it to the other end near the fuse block. Runs as advertised. Taped my connections and off I went.

Congratulations on the fix, but I'm not quite clear on exactly what you did. When you say you got voltage once did you mean that other times you got the wrong voltage? And you ran a wire that jumped out the seat switch and went right to the fuse block? Could the seat switch have been bad, either bad connections or a high resistance in it?

View my Photos
angmach

2009-11-11          166825

previous owner had cut off the connector for the seat switch and tied the ends together. Between that end and the fuse block for the relay, there was a intermittent break. I tied in a second wire at the seat end and ran it to the fuse block end. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-12          166833

Understood, and thanks for posting back. All that lawyer mandated crap makes these machines much more complex than they need to be. ....

View my Photos
angmach

2009-11-13          166839

Well, I thought I had it fixed. ran about 4-5 hours over 2 days with no problems. Then today I hopped on, started up, warmed up, put it in gear and it dies. Went back to checking volts on the repaired wire, relay, and diode box connectors and jumping different connectors. I came up with a weak diode. Only flows about 10 volts. I always thought a diode was all or nothing. But when I jump it direct, everything is fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login