Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4500 3 point issue and very hot

View my Photos
watts4500
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-23          162899

Hello. I have a 2001 JD 4500 w/power reverser. Never any issues until today. While mowing with brush hog I could hear a hissing noise from the 3-point hitch area behind the seat and it seems to smell hot. The 3-point hitch stopped working and would not lift. I parked it; shut it down for 10 min. Started it back up and the 3 point worked again but as you raise it up and down it gets slower. Everything behind the seat was very, very hot to touch. Even the 3-point arms on each side were too hot to hold you hand on.

1250 hours and about 150 hours since fluid and filter change. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this combination of problems? I am very concerned about the heat emitting from the area around the 3-point.

I am going to the dealer in the a.m. to get a new filter. Could it be that simple of an issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Monty

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-23          162905

That is where I would start.

When you changed the the hydraulic fluids, did you also clean the intake screen?

Are you using Deere fluids? ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-23          162906

Another thought....... there is a tranny cooler on your system, maybe a line got crimped or kinked........ ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-05-23          162907

Monty, have you checked the position of the hydraulic levers? Possibly one of the levers is partly pushed causing the fluid to be running thru the pressure bypass valve, that can cause a lot of heat and a hissing sound. You mentioned you were bush hogging at the time, does the PTO work properly? ....

View my Photos
watts4500

2009-05-23          162908

Thanks for all the input.

I do not recall cleaning the intake screen. I will check that as well. The PTO is working fine as is the front-end loader. Even when the 3-point stopped working the loader and PTO performed normally. All fluid levels are normal with no leaks. I crawled underneath and could not find any crimped hoses but I have to admit…I’m not sure where the tranny cooler is located.

As for the leavers…the only other leaver I have is on top of the right fender, which I do not use. I have the rear coupling attachments for a backhoe and I assume this leaver activates that system. I was under the impression this leaver does not do anything if nothing is hooked up back there. Is this correct and what position should this leaver be in? I have no manual for this tractor.

Thanks again for the advice. ....

View my Photos
watts4500

2009-05-23          162913

Okay...thanks everyone for the advice. The leaver for the rear remotes was pushed too far forward which appears to bypass the three point. I was under the impression that leaver had two positions and I run it in the forward position...but if you push it just a little further forward you get that hissing sound. Now...do I need to worry about the excessive heat that built up yesterday as a result of this error? Would that have damaged anything? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-05-23          162918

Monty; does the three point work OK now? I really don't know how hot you can get HY-Gard fluid before it breaks down, does it smell like burnt tranny fluid from a car? If everything works OK and the fluid smells burnt I'd change it but if it smells OK maybe not, youe choice. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2009-05-23          162919

"Even the 3-point arms on each side were too hot to hold you hand on."

I'm with Frank..... that is pretty hot. I would seriously consider changing the fluid. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-05-24          162939

Extreme heating of the oil can cause many problems, but not necessarily so. How long did you run it like that? Extended running in relief can damage the pump, seals and orings throughout the system. If everything is working well now, then probably no pump damage occurred. If you start developing leaks in various places, then you can probably blame the heat for damging seals. Hopefully you didn't run it long enough to cause any real harm, But I also recommend oil and filter change as well as sump screen cleaning. If you find any aluminum shavins in the screen, that is a strong indicator of pump damage. Good Luck! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login