Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-29          155704

Can anyone tell me what type/style of hydraulic fittings are used on my JD 755 (Yanmar) tractor. I bought a female thread/male plug quick fitting (from JD) so I could use a gauge to check the pressure. I believe it is metric, do not know if is pipe thread or one of the bewildering (to me) hydraulic fittings.The gauge will be American pipe thread. I actually might like to tap into the hard lines with a "T" for a permanent installation, don't know what those fittings are either.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-29          155708

It's interesting to know the reading, for a while anyway. But there's more to tapping into the lines than knowing the thread. That pressure gets really high, and unless you do it right, you can lose not only the fluid but body parts you'd rather keep. ....

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-30          155716

There really is no blanket answer to your fitting question. Most likely it is what is called a JIC fitting--looks sort of like a natural gas line or water fitting (which are totally different threads)and has a specifically tapered "nose" that mates to a flare insiode a mating hose or fitting. And they come in many sizes. Look up a hydraulic supply or repair shop in the phone book and consult them.

Tractor Supply does carry some fittings and adapters that should work.

Looking through my NorthernTool.com catalog there are several types of fittigs available---
JIC (?)
NPTF (National Pipe Thread-Female)
NPSM (?)

Then there's British fittings too... ....

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-31          155721

I'm not sure about a 755, but on Deere ag. tractors they have kinda their own threads. They aren't tapered, the threads themselves provide no seal but the "O" ring between the two joined fittings makes the seal. Frank. ....

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-07-31          155724

Frank---wow you wer up early today!

Here's a picture of a JIC fitting with an O-ring end like you described. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-31          155725

Can you not remove a fitting or even a hose and just take it to a shop for a match? kt ....

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
Hettric

2008-08-13          156080

Just to follow up, I took the fitting to the store and they matched it. Don't know the "Type" but it is as Frank said, straight threads with a O ring seal. The odd part,its a standard fitting-on a metric JD/Yanmar. Thanks for the help.

This was a project I had been trying to get to since I read about "shimming" the relief valve here in 4/2004.I had planned on raising the pressure 10% over specs. Imagine my surprise that the pressure is 20% over specs now.
This leads to other Questions- I just changed the hydraulic fluid to Kubota K40105 super UDT instead of lo/vis Hy Gard could this have somehow raised the pressure?
I Found some fine metal on the screen and in the sump. how much is normal? Tractor has around 1300 hours.
Sorry for the long post and Thanks. ....

Hydraulic fittings

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-14          156091

Hettric; I won't comment on your using super UDT in a Deere, you're on your own there. A few pieces of metal usually looking like a small flake are normal, getting more than maybe a half teaspoon is not. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login