Go Bottom Go Bottom

1998 4300 JD Hood and cowling cracking

View my Photos
LDS2121
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-25          152415

Hi all,
I have a 1998 JD4300. I am on my second hood. The first one cracked all too pieces. My second hood is now about shot along with my grille and cowling around instrument panels.
I priced new parts and it will be over $750.00 bucks. I tried to add some aluminum sheet metal and pop rivet it on. It looked good for a while, but now everywhere that I drilled a hole, it is spider cracking out. Any body else have this problem? Is there a cheaper place to get parts?
Thanks
Larry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-25          152417

Assuming it's plastic, would the damage be from sitting outside in the Texas sun uncovered? Or are you using some sort of chemical agent/cleaner on the unpainted plastic surface that is crystalizing/breaking down/reacting with the plastic?

High ambient ozone levels can react with rubber and plastic.

How about the battery? Is it in a position where off-gassing while charging is blowing fumes across the plastic? ....

View my Photos
LDS2121

2008-03-25          152419

No sun. I keep it in the shed since I bought it. I only wash it with water. I am not sure about the battery gasing.

View my Photos
LDS2121

2008-03-25          152420

Most of the cracks are on the hood and cowling near the fuel cap. I guess the diesel spilling on it could be the culprit. That would not expain the cracks on the front of the hood and the bottom of the grill.

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-27          152472

My 4310 is about five years old now and has had no trouble. Maybe they changed composition between the 4300 and 4310.

Are you the original owner? How long did your first hood last?

Here's an unlikely idea. Is there any equipment in your shed that could generate unfriendly gases? Like a swimming pool chlorine generator, ozone generator, water purification equipment, or anything like that? ....

View my Photos
LDS2121

2008-03-27          152492

I bought it new in 1998. I replaced the first hood about 4 years ago. I park it in a shed when not in use. There isnt any gas or chemical fumes around. I tried to rivet some aluminum sheet metal to and that made it crack worse.
I am baffled. Does anybody else have this problem.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login