Go Bottom Go Bottom

Light switch has a relay on it

View my Photos
NorthernMainer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-12          152098

Just a note that most folks on here may already know about but I didnt ............ the light switch on my JD 3203 had me buffaloed yesterday as I attempted to hook up a Wig-WAG module into the headlights. The harness showed the center conductor to be 13.8V [white wire] and the [brown wire] to be ground so everything looked normal until I shut the light switch off! Now I had ground on the white lead and the brown lead! Now I had a problem as with the output leads hooked to the white wire it was shorting out the module! So to get around this I had to use a double pole double throw switch and wire it so that with the JD switch on normal for headlights thats what you get: But to pull in the Wig Wag module; I had to jumper the power to the module from one end of the switch and backfeed it from the output leads to the other end of the DPDT switch, so it will power up the Wig Wag and drop the normal postion out............... quite a lot of messin around to getter done.......... so thought I would post this if anyone hasnt run into the wiring design on these JDs............

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-12          152099

You might also want to check with your State DOT people, in every jurisdiction I've ever come across, forward-facing flashing lights of any colour except for yellow or blue for emergency services, tow trucks, snow removal, etc., are illegal.

Here in Ontario for instance, you are permitted to have ONLY flashing blue lights for a snow removal vehicle, yellow for service vehicles, and green for volunteer fire fighters but only while responding to a call.

We were even warned by the police about the use of flashing white & blue combination lights while clearing snow in a parking lot well clear of roads and traffic.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
NorthernMainer

2008-03-12          152102

I am sure you would be correct Muff, I dont think there is much they could say if you are in your own yard though? I have dozens of overloaded log trucks; going by the end of my driveways within 2ft of my plow and you could get hit by them very easily unless you are very careful, we had a guy here get killed on his new Kabota by a logging truck the 2nd day he owned it! They are going faster and faster here, As they try to make a living with $4.25 deisel fuel and no money in the wood............. even with strobes and led flashers all over the tractor, I am very careful when the snowbanks get high like they are right now; The headlight wigwagings, are one of the most noticeable lights I have on there now![I will add some amber tape over the bulbs to stay legal at your suggestion] Around here we get a lot of trucks from New Brunswick hauling by; and they all have "dual rotating beacons" and extra super powerful aux lights out on top of their mirrors, and are lit up big time; and you can always tell its a Canadian truck, when one appears out of the snow or fog! And I think its a great idea, and has to be safer for them, and everyone else on the road, but they too are probably illegal, if you read the law close enough.

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-12          152103

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMainer | view 152102
.....And I think someone told me that here in this State that they arent. I dont think there is much they could say if you are in your own yard though?

As I said, we got warned to get rid of the white flashers ASAP, and we were in a mall parking lot, not on or even near the road.

If as you say, it's for your own yard, just how much visibility do you need? Do you have people pulling into your driveway at 45mph or something?

We have found the cheapest lights and best visibility for smaller machines is the little 12 volt orange strobes they sell for alarm systems. A decent one is about $15 and at close range they are VERY visible. We run several of them on each of the machines that do sidewalks and such.

I'll leave that whole goobermint and logic (or lack thereof) part of it out of this for now, or we'll be pages long here. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-12          152104

I'm not convinced that having wig wags on a AG vehicle falls under the Federal Motor Vehicle Code as it's not a motor vehicle, so I don't see a problem with it.

Plow guys regularly use clear wig wag headlights when plowing, garbage trucks and city/county trucks use amber and/or red rear wig wags. Tow trucks use front amber wig wags around here.

BTW, funerals/hearses have to use violet or purple over head lights. Headlights are clear and can wig wag. ....

View my Photos
NorthernMainer

2008-03-12          152105

Well I think a real simple cure if anyone is concerned about that part of it, is some stuff called "Static Cling PVC Film" that comes in differnt thicknesses and colors . I have some in Orange and it lays right over a headlight and wont come off; its just a tinted plastic film and should get around the "white or clear" part of it.;-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login