Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4030 overheating

View my Photos
bbmoody
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-29          142561

Replaced head gasket on my 4030 diesel because I was getting antifreeze in my oil and was overheating. Headgasket looked ok, got the head reworked and thought all was well. Now I'm getting antifreeze in my oil again but not while its running, only after it sits overnight. Does anyone have an idea what else could be leading to me getting antifreeze in my oil. I don't think it's a cracked block because she runs just fine.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-29          142570

It still could be a cracked block even though it runs fine. That could cause it to run hot and antifreeze in the oil.

I'm no mechanic but maybe the block is cracked and when the block heats up, the metal expands and seals the crack. Then when the block cools down, the crack opens and lets antifreeze seep in. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-29          142573

Check your water pump and drain seal. There is a drain on the water pump that will start leaking coolant which can get into the engine oil if the drain is obstructed. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-05-29          142579

I can't remember if that model engine had a oil cooler but they sometimes will leak one way or the other. Normally they leak when running and it would be oil at the higher pressure when hot then when cold into the anti-freeze. Thirty and forty series did have a weak radiator system. They required replacement more often then not and over heating was a problem. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-06-11          142873

Did you ever come up with a fix?

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-06-12          142894

I think they used the same 404 engines as a 4020. have you had the oil cooler pressure tested. Leakage after shutdown can happen anwhere oil is on one side and antifreese is on the other. After shutdown you have no oil pressure but you still have water presssure. Have you saw any traces of oil in the antifreeze? Frank. ....

View my Photos
Thedieseldoctor

2007-06-12          142896

I don't know what engine you have in this tractor, but if this engine has cylinder liners in it, it could have a blown o-ring on it. These liners has 2 to 3 o-rings around them that lets coolant circulate around the liners to keep them cool. If a o-ring goes bad it will allow coolant to drain down into oil pan even if you do not run engine. The way I find which liner is leaking is by removing the oil pan from engine and looking at bottom of cylinders. The one wet or dripping with coolant will be the liner leaking. I hope this is some help to you.

Dallas... ....

View my Photos
bbmoody

2007-06-13          142925

I do have traces of oil in my radiator
I haven't gotten back to this, put my back out.
Thinking of pulling radiator and have it checked and cleaned out before I pull oil pan and check for leaks past the sleeves. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-06-13          142926

If you have oil in the radiator then you do need to pull it to have it cleaned as well as change your oil cooler on the side of the engine as that is the cause of your problems. ....

View my Photos
bbmoody

2007-06-14          142942

is the oil cooler a repairable item or does it just need to be replaced ....

View my Photos
joshlee

2007-06-14          142947

If you have oil in the radiator it could be a crack in a cylinder sleeve. I had this same problem in a jd skidder. ....

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2007-06-14          142957

I agree with the idea of a bad sleeve/liner. This tractor used a 329 cubic inch engine which seems to be prone to cavitation of the liners, especially if the coolant has been neglected. Cavitation is when the liners get pitted on the outside of the liners and the pits can go all the way through to the cylinder bore. This condition also puts oil in the cooling system as the piston rings are wiping oil from the bore, it can push oil through the hole into the water jacket. you can see this leak the same way as a bad oring, except the coolant will drip down the inside of the liner rather than the outside. While the oil pan is off, be sure to rotate the crankshaft because if a piston is in the lower part of the bore, it can block the leak when you are looking. Unfortunately, this is a pretty expensive repair. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-06-15          142960

The oil cooler is a replaceable item on the out side of the engine. It is interesting to note that normally the 40 plus pounds of oil pressure will send the oil into the coolant nearly everytime. There is a small occasion that they will leak the other way about one in 5000 for what I've seen.

The cavitation will only allow antifreeze to go into the block from the bottom of the sleeves when they leak. This can normally be detected when leaving the engine sitting for a 24 hour period and you remove the drain plug very slowly as the first fluid out will be anti freeze as it is heavier the oil. The chance of fixing only one sleeve and having it be the end is rare. Cavitation is on the warm side of the block or on the cam side and will normally be on any of the sleeves in the center of the block although signs of it will still be on the outer cylinders.
When you have cavitation some have tried to fix the sleeves with jb weld and other types of metal replacer and then turn them around on the cylinder putting a fresh side of the sleeve to the inside of the block. We've often called it a "western rebuild" as that is where our farmers bought them. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login