Go Bottom Go Bottom

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Jeff LaFleur
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-06          13520

I am about to purchase a John Deere 790. I am looking for people who have experience with either the Agricultural Bar tires or the Turf Tires. What do you see from your experiences as the benefits and/or drawbacks. I am planning to use it on a small horse farm with a loader to move manure, dig sand, use a york rake, etc.. I will not use to mow the lawn.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Donald

2000-03-06          13528

Have you thought about the R4 tires? They have more surface & maybe more traction. They look real good too.
Donald ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-03-06          13531

I was told by a salesman today, that the R4 Industiral tires will prvide 95+% of the traction of an ag tire and turf tires will provide about 80-85%. He did not back it with any documents. Maybe somebody else has better information. He also recommended water and antifreeze in the rear tires. Just some information worth about what you paid for it. ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-06          13533

Jeff, I have several tractors...some with Ag and others with turf tires. Which works best depends on what your ground is like, but usually the Ag tires sink in enough to get more traction. In snow or mud the Ag pulls many times better than the turf. On dry hard ground neither of them is noticibly better than the other. On cement or pavement the turf has somewhat more traction. Traction isn't the whole story, because both tires will slip at times...and when Ag tires spin, they dig a big 'ol rut in about half a revolution. The turfs spin more, but dig less. All around, the Ags usually have better traction than the turfs, and sometimes LOTS better traction. Of course if traction is your thing, then either tire with good chains will outpull any other combination....But you will hate the ride.
If the dirt is soft, the Ag tires do leave a very distinctive tread pattern in the ground for you to look at and admire till it is erased (or not)by the next hard rainstorm. So if Firestone's "field and road pattern" is not your taste in contemporary art, you might prefer the more subtle design left by the turf tire. Roger L. ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-03-06          13535

I recently went through the same decision, and chose the industrial (R4) tires as a compromise between AG and turf. The R4's seem to have good flotation and don't seem to track near as much as AG tires do. It seems like turf tires would not have enough traction for snow plowing, or garden chores. Of course if you do decide on turfs, you can increase traction when needed by installing tire chains. ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
TomG

2000-03-07          13540

Haven't had a traction problem with turfs. I can push about 4-5" of snow on gravel with the loader bucket and anything heavier with the blower. I would need chains for plowing more than 4-5" with the bucket. On the other hand, the traction was barely enough for pulling a 1,200 lbs. concrete slab out of a grade level hole onto gravel. I did start burrowing in a bit and was saved by the differential lock.

Sure is nice to be able to drive on lawn, even if I'm not mowing it. However, with turfs, I still tear sod in a sharp turn with the weighing 3-4,000 lbs. Other tires would make a mess. I'll keep the turfs if at all possible. I have to cross lawn to get to some of our bush. And, you never know when your neighbours might ask you to do something.

I'll be getting a 5' box scraper soon, and I expect the scraper will challenge the traction, especially when using the scarifiers. I figure I can get more traction if needed by carrying a bucket of dirt, or I can take smaller bites. If that's not enough I can get chains.

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-07          13544

We have turf's on the entire fleet, the pro's definitely outweigh the con's (even for R4's or Industrials) for us, even doing loader work. As for the tracks from R1's, I hadn't thought of them as art, but my office does need painting, that gives my a great idea, thanks Roger..... ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
gerard

2000-03-07          13553

I have a small horse farm (11 acres, 2 horses at moment, 4 eventually) and opted for the ags and a small garden tractor for finish mowing. I've been in some nasty mud that I couldn't imagine doing with turfs. I was pleasantly surprised at the traction of the ags. I also use a 5ft box blade and again the traction is well worth it. I may have been happy with the R4's but unless I was going to spend a lot of time on a finished lawn I would never go with turfs. I also don't know if turfs are as puncture resistant as the ags/R4's if you go out in the fields at all. ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
Jeff LaFleur

2000-03-07          13559

Thank you for all the great comments. The dealer is going to drop off a JD790 with turf tires fro me to try. I may see if I can get him to bring a weight box also. I agree with the art work left behind with the ag tires. ....

Turf or Ag Tires

View my Photos
JJT

2000-03-07          13560

Take a look around the rental yards and you will see most of their tractors are wearing R4's. They take a lot more abuse than either ag's or turfs. I have them on a 37hp Kubota with a loader. The only time I ran out of traction was when I hooked onto a stuck 10 wheeler. I've done quite a bit of brush hogging and would be leary of running over the 1 - 2 inch harpoons left behind if I were running turf's. I've also done quite a bit of snow blowing and plowing - no traction issues with the r4's on the snow and ice, (without chains). If you are going to use the tractor to mow the lawn, ag's are out. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login