Go Bottom Go Bottom

Good deal on this John Deere 750

View my Photos
teamcaffeine
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-19          152278

970 hours, FEL, Back hoe, finish mower, bush hog, and a couple really rusty other bits, 4x4 ag tires, asking 9K

Thanks!

Darren

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-19          152280

Darren,

It would be very difficult for me to offer any feedback on this tractor, as I have no idea what the maintenance history on the tractor is like.

If you have a way of finding out something about the maintenance history.....oil changes, fluid changes, filters, etc.....this might be a good deal. If no such information is available, I'd shy away from it since there are nearly 1000 hours on the machine.

If you're satisfied with the appearance and the performance, you will need to ask yourself if you'll need turf tires for mowing a finished lawn. If you need turf tires, you might want to look into the cost of switching out the wheels and tires. Doing this will add a considerable amount (about $900.00?) to the purchase price.

Joel

View my Photos
teamcaffeine

2008-03-19          152283

Joel,

You are the man! thanks for such a quick reply....ASSUMING that the thing has been maintained well, is that a resonable price? I am not to concerned with the Ag tires, I dug a pond this winter and cleared out a lot of brush and over growth. The surrounding area is in need of a lot of work in order to plant grass. The goal is to buy a small tractor, work the ground, then buy a zero turn :)

Is the 1000 hour mark a magic number with these tractors?

Darren

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-19          152285

Darren,

1000 hours is about 1/5th of a normal diesel engine's lifespan. At about 5000 hours, most diesel engines are overhauled as a preventative measure. The idea being to overhaul the engine prior to a bearing spinning, or a rod going through the block. Once the block is destroyed, overhauling the engine is no longer possible. Therefore, many people overhaul their engines at about 5000 hours, in order to avoid the high cost of engine replacements.

Provided that this John Deere has been well maintained, I wouldn't worry about the number of hours it has on it. On the other hand, if the maintenance is obviously lacking, I would shy away from it. A diesel engine can have the life sucked out of it much quicker than 5000 hours, when a maintenance program is either lacking, or non-existent.

Let's say that you need this tractor to do some pretty heavy work. After a year or two, you may plan on selling it. Maybe you won't need it any longer after that. In that case, I think it safe to say that you've found yourself a pretty good deal. After all, a backhoe, alone, will cost nearly 5000 dollars.

If you're comfortable with the overall appearance and general condition of the tractor, I'd say it would be a good deal. Look at the hoses, hydraulic fittings, and anything else that may have been repaired over the years. If you see a whole lot of shoddy work.....such as electrical tape, jury-rigged repairs.....you know what I'm talking about here.......you may decide against it. A lot of information can be gained just be looking at the way the tractor was maintained by its previous owner.

I would also pull the dipsticks and look for a milky white appearance....a sure sign of water in the oil. Also look for any obvious leaks. See if you can't take the tractor for a spin and check out all of its functions. If it passes the tests and meets your expectations, I'd not hesitate to take it home.

Wishing you all the best.

Joel ....

View my Photos
teamcaffeine

2008-03-20          152287

Joel,

Thanks for the heads up. I am a car guy, so it sounds like the standard mechanical stuff applies. I am just not very familiar with these tractors, (Kubota or JD) and especially Diesel engines. It appears to be a well used tractor. I am not above doing a little maintenance, as is expected with something 20 years old...It does look well used. The issue I have is I am anal about maintenance, so looking at anything this old is hard for me to do :-) Used beats the heck out paying new, but I know myself, that I will not leave it alone if it doesn't clean up with soap and water....That is the point I should have bought a newer unit and saved the time on fixing stuff and just used it for its intended purpose!

Thanks again,

Darren

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-03-20          152289

Darren,

I'll be the first to tell you that you're the type of person I'd be happy to purchase a used tractor from. People like you could make a lot of money on a tractor package like the one you're looking at.

OK....maybe you won't make a lot of money on it, but you'll certainly get more out of it than you pay for it, besides having the equipment to use for a couple of years.

If you're willing to put some elbow grease into this tractor and its implements, I'm all but certain that you'll get more out of it than you'll be paying for the thing. Just keep good records of your work. Those little maintenance books are worth a whole lot at selling time.

Joel

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-20          152298

Darren, if the tractor is large enough for your work and you have limbs and such you will be working around, you will be less sad when you damage the sheet metal than on a newer more costly machine. Rather not tell you know I know but I do know and even recently know. Right now have only one piece that needs replacing on fender, again. Well it was $60 two years ago, with oil going up how much has plastic? kt ....

View my Photos
teamcaffeine

2008-03-22          152310

The guy who owned it was a butt-head, strike one...the tractor was REALLY used up. You nailed it Joel, zip ties, electrical tape, etc. The implements looked to have never been maintained. No power steering and AG tires. Having had a lot of rain here lately, I realized that R4's would have to be it. While he came down to 8k when he saw my disgust, I have zero time to spend fixing something when I need it to start using right away. I don't mind fixing the old hot rods, (my other passion) but working on something to use it is another story...The search continues.

Darren ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-03-22          152313

Darren,

For the price he was asking, I was afraid something was up. Figures that the whole works was nothing more than a mobile scrap pile.

No sense crying over spilled milk. Keep looking.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login