Go Bottom Go Bottom

4X2 Gator Kawasaki Motor Carburetor

View my Photos
bossjake
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-27          158179

Whenever I press on my throttle pedal the engine on my Gator bogs down unless I choke it. It was running normally but as if a switch had been flipped it started acting up. It will run if you keep one hand on the choke knob and choke it about 3/4's of the way. I have had the carburetor apart and made sure all jets and orifices (that I could see) were clean. The fuel pump is putting out fuel, although I do not have a spec for flow and pressure so I can't tell if it is pumping enough. I am ready to bite the bullet and replace the carburetor unless anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Does anyone have a source for a carburetor for my Gator Kawasaki model FE290d-DS08 motor other than my local JD dealer?

Thanks,
mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-27          158180

I have no idea how that engine is plumbed but those symptoms sound identical to a problem I had with an old VW Scirocco. It turned out to be a very simple problem - a flex boot between the throttle body housing and the intake box had cracked, leaking air and causing the engine to run way to lean. Although these engines are generally pretty simple, it would be worth checking for vacuum leaks if there are any vacuum lines on it. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-30          158229

It's pretty rare when you need a new carb. I think your main jet is partially restricted or your fuel supply is restricted. Sometimes the main jet can get build up on it and it looks good, but it is partially restricted. What size is your main jet? FE290D's should have a #90 at least. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login