Go Bottom Go Bottom

Emission Sensor

View my Photos
RBrace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-09          157757

Recently had a problem with my Gator blowing a fuse. I found a sensor at the bottom of the Carb that was damaged. I called a local repair shop and they told me to take the sensor out and cut off the plunger and don't reconnect the wires. I did and problem was solved. BUT, the sensor is there for a reason and even though the mechanic said it was worthless and it wasn't needed, I would like to get a second opinion on this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Emission Sensor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-09          157758

I know something of emission controls but nothing about that engine. Got a picture you can post? My guess it is one of two devices, either an EGR valve or some sort of evaporative control device.

An EGR valve modulates a small amount of exhaust gas back into the engine intake to reduce combustion efficiency - in the process it lowers combustion temperatures and reduces NOx emissions. I hate the very idea of these. They are fairly easy to identify by looking for a pipe that connects exhaust back to the intake through the troublesome valve.

An evaporative control device might plug the vent opening in the carburetor to prevent gasoline fumes from evaporating into the atmosphere.

Just guessing here. ....

Emission Sensor

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-09          157759

What series Gator do you have? ....

Emission Sensor

View my Photos
RBrace

2008-11-09          157766

Man, that was quick. Thanks for the responses. Too dark out now, but I'll take pics asap. The Gator I have is a 2005 4X4 HPX. What kwschumm says about the evaporative control device sounds like what the mechanic I talked to said. It definitely wasn't an EGR valve. Again THANKS. ....

Emission Sensor

View my Photos
gatoraider

2008-11-30          158235

The item you refer to is a fuel shut off solenoid. It activates with the ignition switch to supply fuel to the main jets and low idle circuit. If you don't have the plunger any longer the fuel won't shut off when you turn off the ignition. It was probably there to stop run on after the ignition is shut off. New ones are around 150.00. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login