Go Bottom Go Bottom

GT235 Only Running on One Cylinder

View my Photos
husky125
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-15          175150

I spent the weekend working on my fathers GT235. It's only running on one cylinder. I have spark on the non-running cylinder that appears the same as the spark on the running cylinder and the valves are adjusted withing spec. The tractor has the 18 HP B&S Vanguard engine. I'm stumped.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-15          175152

Husky125,

You know that you have fuel, air, spark, and compression on the one good cylinder. This is all good.

I have a feeling that you'll find that the fuel supply to the second cylinder is what's causing your difficulty.

While you have the spark-plug out, put a couple of drops of gasoline directly on top of the piston, then re-install and properly tighten the sparkplug. Now try starting the engine. If the second cylinder comes to life for a few seconds, you'll then know that you have a fuel delivery problem.

If the second cylinder comes to life........just briefly....you can then eliminate any of the other possibilities -- such as low compression (faulty rings), plugged air flow (mouse nest, or insects?), ignition problems, etc.

Hope that helps.

Joel

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-15          175159

Husky125,

Click on the following link. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Briggs engines. You'll need your model and serial numbers from the engine in order to find your exact model.

The following site provides complete parts breakdowns and diagrams. I'm sure it will help you solve this problem.

Joel ....

Link:   PartsTree.com

View my Photos
husky125
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-16          175166

Problem solved. Replaced the coil for the No. 1 cylinder. I also replaced the wiring harness for the coils as the diodes in these tend to fail causing strange behavior. I had been getting a battery light staying on as well that I determined was the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator was the most expensive part. Bottom line, all the parts together were still less than one hour of repair time by the dealer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login