Go Bottom Go Bottom

AgKing Tractor Change front Tire Sizes

View my Photos
waldron
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-26          181759

Can I change the front tires from 7.50x16 to 8x16 on my ag-king tractor. They are easier to find and cheaper?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwks

2011-12-26          181760

Depends on if you have 4 wheel drive and have a central differential. What is critical is will the new ones have the same rolling circumference, or have the same distance measured from the ground to the center of the axle (which can be accomplished by how much air puffs up the tire). ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-26          181761

Well, assuming you're sticking with a R1 tire, there's enough slop in the Chinese front drive where going from 7.50x16 to 8.00x16 won't hurt a thing. The 8.00 is less common though, which almost always means more expensive. Another thing is sidewall strength, especially if you have a front loader. If you find an affordable 8.00x16 it's likely going to be 6 ply. It's a lot easier to find an 8 ply 7.50x16

But if you're going to an 8.00x16 R3 (turf) or R4 (industrial) or even an 8.00x16 truck tire, all bets are off.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
waldron

2011-12-27          181769

Yes I have 4 wheel drive and a front loader. I live on top of a mountain in Asheville, NC. I maintain a mile of private road, some parts of it is 60 degrees. A friend who repairs tractors has a set of used 8x16 r1's. They are in better shape than my 7.5x16's. I use the loader a lot to move gravel, boulders and smooth the road. I was I can and can't use the 8x16 front tires because of the differential. I would seem to me as long as they are the same size they would work. But then what do I know! Do not want to bogger up the gearing. ....

View my Photos
waldron

2011-12-27          181770

P.S. the tractor is an ag-king 3540 I think the same as a jinma 350. If you guys need more info, let me know and I will post it. Thanks for your help. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-27          181771

You can mismatch the F/R rolling circumferance if you put it in 4 only when there's slippage. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-12-27          181775

All else being equal, size is not an issue here. Again - for loader equipped tractors - the sidewall strength is key. When replacing original tires, 8 ply or even 10 ply should be considered. If the neighbors 8.00x16 are less than 8 ply, you won't like how they flatten out under a full bucket. Then if/when you over-air them to compensate, you won't like the ride with an empty bucket.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
waldron

2011-12-27          181778

Thank you for your helpful info you just bestowed upon me.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login