Go Bottom Go Bottom

Will methyl alcohol produced bio-diesel damage Jinma injectors

View my Photos
dworker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-05          155831

I am using methyl alcohol and potassium hydroxide to produce my bio-diesel. I remove virtually all the water out of it before I use it. I have had no problems with it in my old Mercedes. I was ready to start mixing it 50-50 into my Jinma 254 and my JD 650 when another Jinma owner told me that he had heard that the Chinese gaskets could NOT handle methyl produced bio-diesel.

Does anyone know for sure? And if so, how difficult is it to switch out to non-corrosive gaskets?

TIA

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-05          155840

I've not read of a single Chinese tractor owner that's had good luck with bio-diesel of any type. Some report small aggravating problems, others report major troubles. Problems have ranged from disintegrating hoses to clogged filters to damaged pumps to plugged up injectors. Some have even reported having to clean paint out of their sediment bowls every day. So even if you could FIND "non-corrosive" Chinese fuel system gaskets, I speculate they'd be the least of your problems.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
dworker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-06          155848

Thanks Greg. Damnit. I have heard the same. I have all this bio-diesel. Works well in Mercedes and VWs, and I am afraid to try it in any of my tractors. :-(

It is NOT worth the grief of having to rebuild the fuel system of an otherwise perfectly good-working tractor just to 'save' a bit on fuel. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-06          155857

I have an '85 300CD Turbo coupe. Haven't tried any bio-diesel in it, but am willing to experiment. Unfortunately, I'm about 375 miles south of ya.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-06          155860

Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) is a pretty corrosive chemical. Add to that the fact that it's very hygroscopic, it really absorbs water.

I'd want to make sure there was absolutely none of it in any fuel that I was going to pour into an engine. The combination of hygroscopic & corrosive is not a good one. The water the KOH was holding would result in the KOH being trapped in the fuel filter and water separator. Once there in any concentration the corrosive nature would wreak havoc on nearly anything it's exposed to.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login