Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rockaway Landscaping Rake

View my Photos
Jeff Croft
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-15          32422

Anyone who does alot of landscaping should check out the new Rockaway landscaping power rake. This rake is similar to a Rock Hound (for skiders) but is much simpler because it uses your existing bucket on your compact tractor. Rockaways run for about $4000.00. I was able to T into my loader hydraulics to attach a remote valve. Then, all you have to do is run the lines up the loader arms to within about 2 feet of your bucket. The Rockaway attaches by using a pin on both sides of your bucket. The implement is used by placing your bucket level and reversing slowly (Hydro or creep tranys are ideal). The rocks are thrown into your bucket by the rotating bar with carbide teeth. This machine can eat dirt off the high spots and fill in the low ones. The dirt is broken up and is thrown out through the screen. No or very minimal hand tool use is needed after using the Rockaway. All you have to do is seed and mulch. If anyone is interested please E-mail me. I have assisted with the testing of this product by using the Rockaway on my Kubota L3010. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first implement of this nature that was designed for a compact tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2001-10-15          32427

The implement sounds interesting. I wonder about the size of rocks that can be handled and what happens when bigger ones are encountered. I also wonder what happens when the bucket fills up with rocks. Sure does sound like a great thing for some soils. I have heard of 'rock pickers' but I think they are more expensive and may not be designed for compacts. I am curious about the idea of ‘T'ing’ into the loader hydraulics. I assume the unit requires a hydraulic connection, but I don't know if it requires a simple power-beyond connection or if a valve controlled pair is required. However, I didn't think a simple t-fitting in something like the power-beyond line from a loader valve would work in an open centred system. There would be an open line to the sump provided by the PB line and a parallel open centred line provided by the implement. One line would have to be closed before closing the centre on the other line would develop pressure. Something like a diverter valve would work, as would a 3rd valve on a loader SCV (such as I have) or series connection into a PB line (such as the JD rear hydraulics option). I've also heard of things called 'hydraulic multipliers' that convert one outlet into several outlets, but I'm not sure they're manufactured any longer. I guess it's possible that a t-fitting could be placed in a loader lift cylinder line, and the lift control valve could be held open during operation. In theory, the weight of the implement and rocks may create a load on the lift cylinders that is much greater than the load produced by the implement. In such a case, the implement would rotate but the bucket wouldn't move. However, the idea seems a bit shaky. If the implement encountered a high load, then the bucket would move--sounds a little like 3ph draft control. Anyway, these are just some idea on how the hydraulics might work. I am curious how they do work. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-10-15          32443

I too would like to learn more about this attachment! Can I get more info and where do I inquire?

View my Photos
seon

2001-10-15          32444

I previously inquired about this rockaway and am still interested. I'd like to get more info. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Croft

2001-10-16          32448

For you guys who are interested, I am going to pick up the information on Tuesday 10/16. I am going to scan it and try to get it on a web site so that all of you can read it. I will also try to E-mail to each one of you who are showing interest. I'll get this to you guys ASAP.

Jeff ....

View my Photos
Jeff Croft

2001-10-16          32449

To answer the question of hydralics. The manufacturer was not sure how this implement would work on a compact; therefore, we went the cheapest route in order to install a remote valve on my tractor. I own a Kubota L3010. You may know that Kubota has an option for a remote valve when you buy one of their tractors. I believe that these valves are piped directly into to pump but I may be wrong. The reason I didn't even begin to consider this option is that the Kubota valve cost about $800.00 for a single spool valve. We simply purchased a single valve like you would find in a Northern Hydraulic book. We T-ed the valve into the loader hydraulics. The Rockaway loses some speed when the loader is moved quickly (for long periods of time) in which case you probably are not actually raking rocks at the same exact time. I have found that small movements to level the bucket do not affect the speed of the Rockaway. We spent a little over $400.00 for the valve, hoses, etc. If you already have a remote valve, your set. To run the Rockaway, your machine must have atleast a 6-7 gpm pump or more. Your machine must be able to move slowly in reverse. I have thrown rocks into my bucket as large as a half of a cement block. The ideal way to use this product is to let your bucket fill up. This then allows the dirt to be thrown out the front. Keep running a line side by side pulling the rock and roots back into a single long row. Now start dumping your bucket. Just strattle your row of rocks and let the Rockaway throw them into your bucket and keep dumping once you bucket is full. I will have a picture and more info for those who are interested.

Jeff ....

View my Photos
Rich68

2001-10-16          32475

I also am intrested in this rock picker. Rich68 ....

View my Photos
smiller9

2003-02-23          49836

Sounds great...I would like to know more.. ....

View my Photos
sclandscaper55

2016-04-28          195072

Jeff,

Great post on the Rockaway. I just picked one up myself after finding them online. Here's a picture of my rig. Bought it off www.idealrockaway.com ....

Link:   landscape rake

Picture Link
Garden and Landscape Rockaway Landscaping Rake

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login