Go Bottom Go Bottom

Black Streaks in Roof Shingles

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-09          114560

I have a brown shingled (aslphalt/figerglass?) roof that has developed black streaks. Most of the homes in the area have the same problem. The streaks are on the shady side of the house. There was also moss growing on the roof. I killed the moss by getting on a ladder with a backpack sprayer and spraying it with moss killer solution I got at a local place. But the black streaks remain.

Are the black streaks due to acid rain? Does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of theses streaks? I have just finished staining the front of my house (thank heavens) and this is the one defect that remains.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-09          114568

It's a form of algae that forms on the roof. That's why it's only one the shady side of the roof.

If it's really bugging you there is a solution. First a mild acid solution and spray it down good, to rinse away what you can of it, DO NOT SCRUB or you will be putting up new shingles to replace the bald ones. Then have a roofer lift the shingles along the ridge and put down a strip of Zinc that protrudes out a few inches past the shingles. When it rains a mild solution of Zinc will wash down the roof and the algae cannot grow in the residue.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-08-09          114570

Thanks Murf - it does seem to be the classic symptom of a northern facing roof. I am not sure this is worth getting a roofer in since I have a brown roof and the discoloration is not as bad as on the neighbor's white roofs. But its good to know there is a solution. My wife has been insisting it is acid rain. I will take up this discussion with the boss! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-09          114572

If you're handy and not afriad of ladders, or are well insured, LOL, it's an easy thing to do yourself.

The zinc sheet metal should be available at any good roofing supply place. It only takes a minute to do it.

Even if all you do is put up the metal strip, it will eventually (a year?) kill what's there and stop it from getting any worse. The dead stuff will just wash away after a few snows.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-08-10          114670

I'm with Murf. Surprisingly in my part of the country (metro Detroit area) we have the black streaks and people don't realize that there are special strips made of zinc made for roofing. They slip under the shingles at the roof ridge. They're made to slowly dissolve away as rain watyer washes over them. I saw them on TV's "This Old House" many years ago on a home they were doing in New England. Zinc is used in medications too---like cough drops---to prevent bacterial infections. (Most) microbes cannot live in the presence of zinc. ....

View my Photos
paulss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-10          114676

I had the same problem and also had mildew on the shady side of the house. I used a hose-end sprayer (the kind with the long nozzle and the small plastic cup on the bottom - Ortho brand I think). I filled the cup with Clorox and 2 generous squirts of dishwashing liquid and then sprayed down a section with the solution. It generally takes 5-10 minutes to make the stain disappear and then I rinse it with regular water from a nozzle. It may sometimes take a second/third application to completely remove the stain. The only thing you must be sure to do is wear old clothes, eye protection and immediately rinse any plants you get it on.

I've done this 3-4 times over the last 8-10 years and see no damage to the siding or shingles. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login