Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
Fred Ketner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-27          62763

Hi All,
I have a 72" First Choice Grooming Mower that pull with a Ford/NH 1920. It works great but sometimes when I go mow parallel with a small spillway or ditch the front center of the mower will cut into the earth. I am thinking about spending about $60 for the front anti-scalp roller (which is standard on a 84" model). Does anyone use a center antisclap roller on their finishing deck and do they help when the ground is not level? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-27          62769

They help a certain amount but with a mower that wide on uneven ground; you are going to encounter a certain amout of scalping. I set my mower to cut high at about 4 inches which seems to help the most and I do have the center & side anti-scalp wheels, but even then I scalp once in awhile. ....

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-30          62911

Fred, no two situations are the same and we do often have to look for a way to help people in your shoes. The center anti-scalp wheels are used on many mowers and they do help. You might want to look for a style that will give you some adjustability. We just added some to a Kubota 72" deck for a customer as his application wasn't quite level enough around his pond. Sound familier? ....

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-30          62924

My 60" Bulher came stock with a antiscalp wheel. I had a Landpride without one before and it certainly helps. I would not say that I don't scalp just a lot less. ....

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-31          62948

No expertise here since I don't have a mower. There have been discussions about chain and flex top-links for mowers. If you're using a regular top-link a chain or flex top-link also might help. ....

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-31          62949

I was going to add that one of the features I was specifically looking at when I bought the replacement for the Landpride was the antiscalp roller.
What I didn't know until I read this post was the fact that some manufactures consider it an option. I guess I ruled out some I might have considered, although as I was at 1K for the mower I don't believe I could have beaten the price with the features and quality. ....

Anti-Scalp Roller

View my Photos
Fred ketner

2003-09-16          64024

I posted the original message. I installed the new anti-scalp roller and am very satisified. I was able to lower my deck about 1/4" and have no scalping issues now. My 72" mower is First Choice and the roller was a Sicma. Evidentially, these mowers share some common parts or are made by the same Italian Company. Thanks for all the feedback. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login