Go Bottom Go Bottom

Side vs Rear discharge pros cons

View my Photos
jg4660
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-20          53450

I will be buying a 6' finish mower soon and would like to hear some opionions on rear vs side discharge mowers. I will be mowing about 5 acres regularly and want the one that will produce the best cut. Im leaning towards the rear discharge as i understand the clippings are not prone to pile up into windrows. I have been cutting this with an old decrepit 5' brush hog so i can only get better but wanted to hear from people who have had more experience with these.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-20          53457

In general the rear tends to give a better cut from my experience. The main question you need to ask is whether you need to pick up leaves or needles. With the rear you cannot blow the material into wind rows for removal or add a vacuum. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-21          53466

jg On my 72" LP side discharge I keep the chute deflector folded back so that I have a good spread of the clippings. As peters said if I want a wind row I fold the deflector down. The other benifits of the side discharge is you (IMHO) will get a better lift of the grass thus a better cut of the wheel tracks. Also you can block the chute off with a piece of sheet metal for mulching. Have Fun Harvey ....

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-30          56022

with rear you can mow damp and not clog,,and a rock,it not a missle,,,,it leaves a better cut!!! ....

View my Photos
rrfowle

2003-07-17          59684

I have recently experienced the same dilemma on a 5' rear discharge finish versus a belly mower for my JD. Both do a nice finish job on the grass, but the belly mower has performed the best with increased visual appeal.

Rear discharge finish mowers need slightly higher PTO Hp and do not like higher grass so you'll need to keep it mowed regularly. (You need to watch gearbox ratios also as they are wildly different between models). I've recently acquired a belly mower for my JD compact and have been overwhelmingly satisfied. I can mow with a faster ground speed, short time, taller grass, and better fuel economy. ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-08-22          62463

A friend purchased a 72" rear discharge mower. His first discovery was that his method (prior use was with Woods side discharge) of backing up to cut grass in tight spaces doesn't work with rear discharge mowers (at least the one he bought). He smoked the belt within 4 hours of use.....

There was no warning in the owners manual about 'no cutting in reverse' - be warned ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-22          62464

You do have to keep the lawn maintained with either mower. I like the idea of a rear discharge deck but I like a midmount mower. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-23          62543

I have used a rear discharge(Landpride), rear discharge (Bulher) and mid mounts. But I have not used the mid mounts on the CUT only lawn tractor. The best cut I have had is the Bulher. I can even cut closer to the trees with it than the garden tractor.
I would think a lot depends on the design of the mower.
I have mowed the field with it but needed to increase the height to 4 inch for the first cut.
Peters ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-09-21          64479

Bulher is the brand my friend who used to backup to cut grass in tight places purchased. Since his purchase he has
1) replaced a belt (partially his fault not realizing you don't cut in reverse
2) replaced the spacer rings when the linch pin was 'removed' by a low branch on a tree
3) repeated 2) again (no more linch pins - he put bolts in
4) returned the tractor to dealer to have one entire bearing unit replaced; apparently the bearing housing had only a few small tack welds in place rather than full welds
5) a flat tire (cant' really blame that on lack of quality, but it adds to the list

He loves the cut; is very disappointed in the quality.
Maybe it's because he took the red one instead of waiting for a green one :)

View my Photos
Peters

2003-09-21          64482

I have not had any trouble with mine, painted green naturally. I have lost the linch pins, but found the same pins and have never lost any spacers. Sounds like he is not too carefull.
I can not say I have any more problems with the Bulher than the Landpride. I replaced a belt and solid tires on it. Certainly the solids are more money. There is no way to replace the bearing only. I guess I would have to rate the quality equal to the Landpride and the cut superior. I certainly shopped other mowers but have only used the too. For the price of the Landpride I could have bought two Bulhers.

View my Photos
harvey

2003-09-21          64485

An intersting string of events here. I have also lost a lynch pin and hunted for 2+ hours looking for all of the spacers.

Since then I have safety wired all of the pins on the wheels. just makes 4 less things I have to watch when I mow. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login