Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
fourustircom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-22          118287

My wife has a Taylor-Dunn golf cart with a gas Yamaha chassis. We've seen ads for mowers that attach to the front of ATV's. Anybody tried this or know of the result? We mow quite a bit and a 60" machine looks like the thing. We've been looking at Swishers, which now I see someone didn't like very well.

I found a JD 60" RM finish and am considering converting it to a trail mower by adding a motor that she can either pull or push with her cart rather that buy a new lawn tractor since her old hydrostat 18hp HO threw a rod. I can't talk her into learning the 550. With the loader, it's hard to get on and off, and it's not easy to remove and reinstall.

Thanks in advance for any input into our decision making situation.

Ron Shepard

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-22          118289

I think it would be easier to fab something to pull rater than push. But you would probably get a better cut with it out front before running over the grass with the tires. ....

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-23          118298

That is a good idea. Me thinks you will also need a gear box to reduce the rpm down.

But not to sure about the ATV having ability to push a heavy deck around a corner. I'd try that 1st B4 I spent much time with the motor and gearbox. ....

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-23          118317

You might consider removing the gearbox completely and getting a vertical shaft engine in its place. ....

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-24          118361

If you want to drive it with an engine, just use a pair of open gears and some really heavy drive chain.

That way you can reduce the rpm down 4:1 so that the 2,200'ish full-load rpm of the engine is then spinning the input shaft of the gearbox at about the 540 rpm it wants.

Just don't forget to put some good guards around the chains and gears.

Using a vertical shaft engine will be a real PITA, since putting a series of belts and pulleys on it that will accomplish the needed gear reduction will be nearly impossible.

Best of luck. ....

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-24          118365

Man, if you have the parts and stuff laying around, go for it. But if you have to go buy a bunch of stuff, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Unless you really don't care and enjoy this sort of work. It just strikes me as being a tad pricy if you have to go buy stuff like an engine.

Just my opinion. I like to do projects like that too. But I currently lack the time and $ to do such things.

although I have had my wife driving my 550. But I can't see her mowing with it. ....

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-24          118376

Most of the rfm I have worked on have a stepped up gear box on them. That steps the 540 up to 1800 - 2000 rpm. That is why I said just eliminate the gear box. But the jack shaft idea is a good one too. ....

Pushing a finish mower

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-25          118397

I would never have guessed those gear boxes are ratioed. If that is the case I'd do it direct also.

That said I need to do some checking on the gear ratios. I have just obtained a new (25hrs) 4BT 3.9L Cummins all set up to use. It has a 8sheeve pully already attached with hand clutch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login