Go Bottom Go Bottom

Battery Sudden Death

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-11          178948

So I got my 21' boat ready this spring, load tested the battery with good result, started her up a couple of times. A few days later my wife and I take her to the launch ramp, the boat starts right up and then quits. I jump start the boat, take the jumpers off and it continues running. But we turn of the boat and it won't start again.

So I take it home and load test the battery and it is totally dead. I see on the internet comments that this is not uncommon for a battery to die so suddenly. I put the battery on slow charge overnight and it is still dead. I am on my way to buy a new battery. But I guess I'd better check the alternator for 13-14 v charge when I get the motor started again.

According to internet an alternator that fails can cause the battery to fail also. I hope that is not the case here. Anyone have something like this happen to them?

Joe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Battery Sudden Death

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-11          178951

So I just installed the new battery and everything seems fine. Except that the volt meter on the boat goes in the wrong direction when you rev the engine. The volt meter has done this as long as I can remember. There are no loose wires on the back of the gauge.

New battery at rest: 12.53V using tester

Battery installed with engine running at 3000 RPMs: 14.58V (tester), 12V based on boat gauge

Battery installed with engine running at 1000 RPMs: 14.58V (tester), 12.7V based on boat gauge

Battery after turning off the boat: 13V (tester)

So I guess the alternator is working and new battery seems good so I am back in business. But something must be screwed up in the dashboard. Any ideas?

Joe

Battery Sudden Death

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-06-11          178952

On the back of the dash meter should be two terminals, each with a wire to it. Try interchanging them. ....

Battery Sudden Death

View my Photos
crunch

2011-06-11          178955

Yes, thanks Auer. I was able to get my head up behind the dash but no room to work. I need to do some research on how to get the gauge out.

Joe ....

Battery Sudden Death

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-06-13          178976

Joe, had battery to die like that in one vechile about a year ago and my oldest daughter's vechile did this year. Have been told (no idea if correct) the newer designed batteries are more likely than those from years ago. You may find using a mirro helps to see behind the dash. No not your wife's makeup one. ....

Battery Sudden Death

View my Photos
crunch

2011-06-13          178990

Good idea about the mirror KT. I took the boat out today with new battery. No problems this time. Just really wierd how it failed in the middle of use. I agree, they must be making them differently! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login