Go Bottom Go Bottom

wider wheels

View my Photos
jb5050
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-08          141162

Well Gee. I seem to have ruffled some feathers, sorry if I hurt feelings or bothered some of you. Just checking to see if anyone pays any attention. Guess you do, if I hurt feelings, insulted someone,,made someone uneasy I truely am sorry. So, I will only post messages that are non inflamatory in the future. Hope everyone had a lot of ham, turkey or whatever, and are sitting back picking you teeth or taking a walk, or whatever it is that makes folks comfortable JB

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

wider wheels

View my Photos
bvance
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-08          141167

JB, I think you will find the folks on TP are a good bunch of guys and gals. At first glance we may seem to be a "cliquish bunch" but we really aren't. Sometimes a post just doesn't get any response due to a variety of reasons....maybe few have any experience on the topic, or perhaps those that do may be out of town or just busy.

Give TP the chance and I think you will find everyone just as friendly and helpful as folks down out the small-town coffee shop. I know I have certainly gotten my monies worth. I have really benefited from other's experiences while at the same time probably haven't added much myself....so I come out the winner! Hope you do too. :)

Brian ....

wider wheels

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-09          141177

Sorry, but I read this post and had no clue to what you are talking about and what seemed to make you upset. JB, so I looked into your previous posts and saw that you are interested in widening you wheels and didn't get responses. I missed your original post. Sorry about that!

Some of the guys here may not agree with me about doing this, but this is what can be done. I don't think this will put much extra stress on the axles unless you do something extreme.

My dad did this when I was a kid and widened some rims on a large ag type tractor rear wheel that had a rim diameter of about 5 feet.

He cut the existing rim width along the rim O.D. in (2) pieces such that one cut was on the outboard side of where the rim is mounted so by adding a strip of material, he widen the tire/rim toward the outside not affecting fender clearance. He then added a piece of material which was about 2-3" in width and welded the 3 peices together giving him the desired width.

He did this by carefully scribing a line on the rim for the full circumference on the rim O.D. and keeping it parallel to the rim flange. He drilled a hole in the rim to get a spot to start with a recriprocating saw and carefully cut the rim along the scribed line.

He then measured the rim diameter with a tape measure and purchased a strip of steel the same thickness as the rim material and same length as the rim diameter and took it to a machine shop that had a rolling machine. He had the strip roll formed into the same diameter as the rim.

He made a jig to keep both halfs of the rim concentric to one another and also the flanges parallel while placing the strip between. He welded the sections together using a stitching pattern of about 3" at a time alternating from side to side and moving around the periphery. He eventually made these continous welds but moving around reduced/eliminated warpage.

That is allot of work and must be carefully done. The rim my dad modified was also quite thick due to it size. He stick welded it. I'm sure your rim is allot thinner and should be TIG or MIG welded if you decide to do so. If you are not a skilled fabricator, suggest going to a qualified machine shop to do this. I doubt if you can find an after market rim of the correct diameter and bolt pattern at the desired width.

My guess is you would first need to find an alternate tire width in the same diameter that you currently have. If the tire is about 3" wider you would want the rim widened about the same width. You can put a slightly wider tire on your existing rim. Going too much wider will give you a curved configuration on the O.D. Like with a turf tire you want a flat shape for ground contact. ....

wider wheels

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-04-09          141178

I have had questions that got little response and others that went on. There are some of us who are only here on certain days of the week or certain times of the day. It would not be my suggestion to think any one source in life can provide all our answers at a moments notice other than God. Often he reuires our patience. Even my wife failed me this weekend on a serious question on planters.

JD, are you wanting wider tires are a wider set up with your tires. It seems you may be wanting to adjust you wheel base width. If that is what you are after and having no idea with the brand of tractor you have, many tractors rear wheels do have some adjustment built into their rims. You would do good to find a manual which should give you the options and specs and not just begin by taking tires and rims off. If no manual is available and your rims are a single piece you have only one option and that is to switch them from one side to the other (to keep tread in proper direction). If two pieces there are probably options on how the two pieces bolt together to give you more options in the width of the tires. On four wheel drive front ends would assume the only way to adjust that is will rim changes such as rear. Most 2 wheel drive tractors the front axles have adjustment options. Note, if you run loader or such you may have a limit on how wide you are suppose to widen the front axle. Again, you need to get you hands on an operators manual for your tractor or the specs. A very real safety note, if you jack up your tractor to switch the rear wheels, remember the front axle pivots and you must have two jacks and blocks sets under the rear axle to prevent the tractor moving suddenly and becoming unstable or even falling and doing damage to property and persons. kt

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login