Go Bottom Go Bottom

I ve joined the ranks of diesel truck owners

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-26          129909

I've been wanting one for a number of years and even thought the F150 is still going strong I bought a super duty yesterday. I'm not much of a shopper and didn't look very far, but I got a fairly loaded Ford 4WD XLT for less than the GMC dealer wanted for a diesel work truck (crank up windows, rubber floor mats, manual mirrors etc). To be fair, I did like the GMC. It seemed to have as much power and was considerably quieter than the Ford.

So far after only 200 miles it looks like its getting about the same fuel mileage as my 6 cylinder 2WD F150 got, about 19-20 mpg. I really like a manual transmission but the salesmen just laugh at that idea. One said, "We had a couple back in 1999 or so, but they just sat on the lot and wouldn't sell."

Anyway, I like the truck. It's got all the good towing stuff I wanted so I don't have to feel like I'm overloading my tow vehicle. If we ever get a 5th wheel camper, we're all set.

I've decided to call it Wynonna... cause it's big and red! :)
Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-26          129914

Well, your F150 and your Super Duty will have different uses, so it's good to have both. What's the exptected lifetime for a truck diesel engine? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-26          129915

Congrats on your purchase! Wynona sounds like a fitting name. I call mine "Big Blue" after Paul Bunyan's Ox. I only have the small gas engine but it hauls my 8,000-10,000 lb. payloads just fine on the Michigan flatland. Got 58,000 miles so far on the tires and brakes and plenty to go. Seat was aweful hard for the first 40,000 miles. Dealer says it will soften and gets just about right at 100,000 so it can last the duration.

Everytime my brother-in-law visits and walks past it in the drive he says, man that is a big truck! ....

View my Photos
Billy

2006-05-26          129919

Congrats, my friend. I just hope it doesn't bloom out like the "other" Wynonna. If she does, you may have to get a bigger engine ;) ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-05-26          129921

Denis, My gas 6cyl is still going strong at 225K miles so I would hope the diesel would do 300K. Others out there have more experience with diesels so I'll let them answer that. I don't think I'll keep both trucks. I'm thinking of giving it to a charity and taking the tax deduction.

Yooper, I also tow less than 10K lbs so right now this is more truck than I need. So why buy it? Well, I've always felt the need to justify everything. That's why I drove a 2WD stick shift for the past 8 years when everyone else I know had nice 4WDs. It must be the conservative German/Polish genes. But I've worked hard and had some good luck. Now I'm in the position to own something nice. You might say that the method used to make my pic #12 bought the truck.

Billy, As the paint chips and pieces fall off over the years, it's bound to lose weight. I'll have to change the name to Lucy.
Dave

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-26          129925

Well done Dave!!

Enjoy it !!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-28          129956

Congrats! My dad just went diesel recently too. He loves it. Better mileage, more power than you need, etc. What's not to love? ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-05-31          130127

Someone sent this site to me after they found out I had a superduty. I saw one like this with a Dodge diesel not long ago.
Dave ....

Link:   F350

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-05          130466

I got a chance to pull a nice load yesterday to try out the new truck's towing ability. After I figured out the change from 6 pin to 7 pin wiring connector I was off and running with the Kubota on the trailer and bush hog in the box. Do you know that there is a +12V pin at 1 oclock on the circle and if you're 180 degrees off on the wiring pattern your electric brakes are always locked up? :)

To make a long story short, I'm really impressed with what 300+ diesel HP gives you as a tow rig (which I'm sure all you diesel truck owners already know). I was only towing about half the rated weight capacity for the truck at the receiver hitch but the difference between this and my old 200 hp V6 gas engine is like night and day.

I'm thinking I need a longer trailer. 16' is not long enough to carry anything on the back of the tractor. That's why I had to put the mower in the truck box. I wonder if 20' is long enough to keep my BH on the tractor and move it?

Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login