Go Bottom Go Bottom

NAA alternator conversion

View my Photos
jonstark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-03          162504

1. Will the old ammeter work with 12 volts?

2. Will the old starter work or overwork and burn up?

3. Worth changing coil or just go with ballast?

4. Does this change to a negative ground system?

Thanks guys. Just bought a bunch of attachments that came with a pretty nice old Jubilee attached so I think I'll keep it and see how she works alongside the Kubota.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-06          162567

Assume you are asking about changing from a 6 volt to 12 volt on the old Ford. Of course new voltage regulator with either 12 volt generator or alternator.

From old memory think they only changed out the light bulbs and not ampmeter or starter. As to coil, not sure but don't remember being told they change those either.

As to whether it will remain postive ground that do not remember. But would that not be determined by the way the alternator was wired? ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2009-05-06          162572

Thanks for the input KT.

I got to digging the yesterday and found a large voltage drop across the start relay. This meant there was a high resistance connection there so I immediately rung off the first stud, bashed a knuckle getting the relay off, shorted my wrench and made sparks then broke off a wire terminal. After all that fun it started to rain and I moved into the way too small garage where I couldn't see much with the single dangling bulb on a cord. Every time I bent over my butt hit a post and this winter's empty acorn shells the squirrels left rained down on my head and down my collar but I got it back together and she cranks like a banshee.

I also found that the previous owner had provided me with a box of old voltage regulators... Each of these was obviously failed internally with burnt jumpers or shorted resistor so looking closer I found he had been hooking up the regulators incorrectly and ruining them. Rocket surgery. All taken care of and charging like a champ. Don't think I'll be converting right now. Too many other fish to fry but there's another post...

jon ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-06          162573

You don't need to change the starter, in fact if anything they work better on 12 volts than they did before.

We have a Jubilee that was converted to 12 volts about the time I was born, it still has the original starter on it and it starts better than I do. ;)

You will need to change it to a negative ground system because of the way the alternator will be wired.

Most people just use a Delco alternator, that way the regulator is built in.

You will either need a new coil, or a resistor to drop the 12 volts back to 6 volts for the coil.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2009-05-06          162577

Thanks Murf!

jon ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-05-06          162578

Jon, you did a great job painting the garage scene ...appreciated the laugh. Glad you got the rocker surgery done. :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login