Go Bottom Go Bottom

Going Bananas

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-14          68779

A few year back my son decided to get some banana plants from a neighbour. The neighbour had a grove beside his house that grew full sized banana trees every summer. In the winter they died back and he covered them with mulch. My son decided that he wanted the tree to flower so he has kept it in the house. It takes 3 years for the banana to flower and produce bananas.
Well the tree is next to the roof now and has produced a number of little trees. A few weeks back it flowered. I now has 40 little bananas. I am not sure how I am going to get the 25 ft tree out of the house.
See Pictures 3 and 4.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Going Bananas

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-14          68790

Cut in 4' lengths, it shouldn' be too hard to handle....
bliz ....

Going Bananas

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-15          68812

Yikes! Some friends had an idea of putting a live Christmas tree in their custom house. Their architect talked them out of it for the same reason. The guy earned his fee a number of times. Near Windsor, Ontario there's a large plant nursery that has a suearo cactus that's been growing for many decades. There's an extension on the roof of the green house to accommodate the cactus, which weighs tons. Wish I knew how to spell suearo. ....

Going Bananas

View my Photos
Peters

2003-11-15          68823

As far as I know the tree dies back to the root after it fruits and starts another tree.
The main problem is that the kids are attached to the tree. ....

Going Bananas

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-15          68829

Eric, can you say chain saw and sky light??? ;-) To be honest with you; if you move it outside now, the cold weather will shock it. Any chance you could wait until a bit warmer weather? I would try lifting the planter pot onto a dolly and get several guys to help you gently tip the tree over and with about 4 or 5 guys evenly distributed carrying the tree on their shoulder; carry her out the door. Nice bunch of banana's! I had my own pet banana trees when I was in Honduras. They were actually plantains which the local Hondurans liked to fry up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login