Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 3520 PTO Chatters

View my Photos
bdblount723
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-06          173785

I have a 2007 John Deere 3520 with a HST transmission. I noticed today that the PTO shaft chatters a bit. It seems to be worse at idle, but it could be that I just can't hear it at higher rpm's. Also, the shaft will turn about a half turn in either direction when the tractor is shutdown. Can any one shed some light on this? Maybe it is normal and I never noticed it before or maybe it is the early signs of something bad. The tractor has 200 hours on it. There are no leaks around the shaft and it seems to perform just fine with a 5 ft. rotary cutter.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-06          173786

Tractors and implements make all sorts of noises so it's a little hard to know what the chattering sounds like. It could be as simple as the pto safety cover rattling. The shaft rotation when off is normal and it's a good thing. It makes it a lot easier to line up shaft splines when doing hookups. ....

View my Photos
bdblount723

2010-09-06          173787

When I turn the shaft in either direction it hits a metal stop in either direction. I thought it might have been the safety guard too but I held it tightly and it still made the sound. It has been about a year since I ran a mower off the PTO. I mostly do dirt work with a box. I simply don't recall that it would free spin. I remember having to turn the shaft on the implement to align the splines. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-07          173794

The shaft turning by hand with the engine off is to help you align the splines for hook up to something, a real handy feature.
Does the chattering happen with something hooked to the shaft or with nothing hooked to the shaft? If a shaft to an implement is angled too sharply it will cause a chattering noise but will go away when the shaft is running in a straighter alignment.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
bdblount723

2010-09-07          173797

I don't notice it when an implement is on it, but of course an implement adds a lot of noise that could mask the chatter. As I said, the performance is fine and there is no oil leaking from shaft area, so I will assume it is alright. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with it. I think some tractors have built in overunning clutches to protect the tractor. I wonder if this might have that setup? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-07          173798

BD;
Your 3520 is a newer version of the same chassis as my 4310, I think all PTO and three point componets are likeley identical.
I have some three point mounted rear PTO powered implements, a tiller and a couple rear mowers.
My tiller has a pretty short PTO shaft compared to the mowers which causes a much sharper angle of the PTO shaft when the tiller is lifted to it's highest position on the three point hitch. I have to remember to set the stop on the three point lift lever to keep me from lifting the tiller too high with it running. That causes a lot of driveline chatter having the univeral joints runing at too sharp an angle. It doesn't need to be lifted that high for clearance, so as long as I remember to set the lever stop there isn't any noticable chatter.
The mowere have driveshafts that are more than twice the length of the tiller so even at full lift height the angle of the shaft isn't enough to cause noticeable chatter.
I've used the PTO on the 4310 to power grain augers that normally have a pretty straight angle so I've never noticed any chatter there either.
Yours could be different but my 4310 doesn't have an over running clutch.
Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login