Go Bottom Go Bottom

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-15          164091

We have about an acre pond that has duckweed in or on it. (This is a small weed that floats on the surface. Even a moderate breeze will move it.) Have used some chemical (Reward I think) on it with some results but as hot as it is afraid it will hurt any fish to spray it sufficient to really kill it. Have thought about mechanical way to remove at least a good percentage of it. Have seen there is some kind of "rake" for this. My SIL and I have wondered if possible to use a pump with a floating skimmer head on it and pump it through some sort of filter.

Open for any suggestions. Any one know if there is a pump or floating skimmer head that can be used for such? If we raised cranberries in the area they have equipment that probably would work.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
Earthsurfing
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-15          164094

Duck weed will clean your water of excess nutrients, and actually lots of fish will eat it.

Is there a particular reason its a problem, or that you want to get rid of it for?

If your in a dry area- it also reduces evaporation from your pond.

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-16          164100

The reasons are: 1)It is my understanding it will pull the oxygen from the water. 2) It is down right ugly. 3) No fun fishing through it. 4) Have been told by others who know much more about ponds than my little bit we need to get rid of it. Now they may have meant to get it under real tight control.

Per a local expert this week as hot as we are he said it doubles about ever 2 to 3 days. A spot here and a spot there I don't mind it but it will cover the full pond as it has for the last two months.

What kind of fish eat it?

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-16          164111

Kenny, we see that stuff lots in golf course ponds, etc., and every one I've talked to said it's like anything else, it will only expand as far as conditions allow.

There is probably a nutrient overload in the pond from uneaten fish food (assuming you feed them), the fish excrement and possibly some fertilizer runoff from the lawn.

While it is true it does consume some oxygen, it also provides a lot of shade, lowering water temps. Once the duckweed has consumed the available nutrients it will be limited to the available food supply. In the end most people think duckweed is a bigger bonus than problem, it really cleans up the water.

As you stated, it moves easily. Even a relatively small fountain head will open up a big hole in it and keep it open.

As for food, any grass eater will consume it, particularly stuff like Carp. BTW, hogs really like to eat it too!!

Best of luck. ....

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
Earthsurfing
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-16          164118

My understanding is that Tilapia eat it, which are a fish commonly grown for restaurants, etc.

I agree with Murf- its dealing with fertilizers, fish waste, septic leaching, any other excess nutrients in the pond in one of the best ways you can.

I like the idea of some fountains to keep it clear from certain places.

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-07-16          164128

Tilapia is native to the Mississippi and Looooosiana coast found in the brackish waters in the canals. They get about 10-12" long. When we weren't cleaning up Katrina we were paid by the local fishmonger $2 a pound for them. ....

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-17          164160

I think we have a winner here.

The duckweed has really been aggressive this year, growing at a very fast rate. So what is different...began feeding fish this year! So weather permitting tomorrow the feeder gets cut off.

Pond is not fertlized and really don't think gets any fertlizer run off.

Thanks to each of you. ....

Duckweed in ponds

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-18          164171

Have not been to cut feeder off yet but the area around the pond was logged almost two years back. Bless those northern loggers (they were from way up North, North Carolina :) ) they fell many trees into the pond and then were to pull them out but believe it or not they had some to float to far in or tops break off or such. We were going to drag those out and without seeing them had couple of experienced fisherman say to leave them for cover for the fish. Could that wood also furnish nutrients, I am right sure so. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login