Go Bottom Go Bottom

North American Power Tools

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-02-24          194610

Was looking at cordless drills and just happened to roll the label where easy to read and it read, Made in China. Surprised me the brand so I went on to read label of every brand Home Depot had on there shelf and all are Made in China. Now did not get into their highest price models but was up to about $300 range. Which has me wondering is there a web site where is it easy to find I prefer the USA but not stuck there, how about just North America. Canada, USA and Mexico or such.

What surprised me was the Japanese brands, the USA brands and French? (Bosh I think is French if not forgive my mistake) all made in China.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dzimbric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-02-24          194617

Unfortunately almost everything is being produced in China. The name brand companies are doing a good job at quality control. With that said I try to stay away from strictly China based companies that provide their own quality control. ....

View my Photos
bloggins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-02-24          194619

Agree with Dzimbric, the Chinese are very capable of producing high quality merchandise, it's just that they have catered to providing knock-offs of dubious quality and have become famous for it. Hey, they've made it into space and probably the moon soon too (sounds like a North Korean rocket - moon sun 2). ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-02-25          194621

Spent some time looking and found that Dewalt is suppose to be
doing at least some of the assembly in Charlotte NC and maybe other locations. Also think they said Makita has had plant here for about three years building here.

For me it is not just a quality issue it is a job and economy issue. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2016-02-25          194623

it's not just power tools Kenny, it's everything right down to food. Consumers demand lower prices, retailers demand larger margins, the result is off-shore sourced products.

I ran into this recently, when one of my employees bought a small gas powered band saw mill.

Everything in the literature and the website shows that this product is manufactured by a company in the Toronto Canada area. But once he took delivery of the product he noticed that it was packaged as if it had been shipped along way, the documentation included with it and deckles on the machine itself clearly indicated that it had been completely manufactured in China and just drop shipped to Canada. When he asked the vendor above this he replied that the only way he could sell his products for the price he does was to have it made offshore.

Wally World is the biggest proof of this issue.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Murf

2016-02-25          194627

it's not just power tools Kenny, it's everything right down to food. Consumers demand lower prices, retailers demand larger margins, the result is off-shore sourced products.

I ran into this recently, when one of my employees bought a small gas powered band saw mill.

Everything in the literature and the website shows that this product is manufactured by a company in the Toronto Canada area. But once he took delivery of the product he noticed that it was packaged as if it had been shipped along way, the documentation included with it and deckles on the machine itself clearly indicated that it had been completely manufactured in China and just drop shipped to Canada. When he asked the vendor above this he replied that the only way he could sell his products for the price he does was to have it made offshore.

Wally World is the biggest proof of this issue.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
dzimbric

2016-02-25          194628

I recently purchased a new Chinese PTO powered wood chipper that will handle 8 inch thick logs for $1500.00. I figured since it didn't have a motor I could handle any bearing or parts issues myself.
That is half the price of a Woods chipper and it does the same job. I have to babysit the feeder mechanism a bit more but I think it works pretty good for what I paid.
I understand about the helping the local economy but the most local economy is my economy and I just couldn't justify the extra money.
When I bought my first riding mower it was a John Deere from the JD store, not Home Depot. After a while I had a hard time justifying the extra $1000 I had spent since it used the same motor as the one sold at HD. That $1K was near and dear to me in those days. Now I look at what my needs are make my purchase based on that decision. I could have bought a ROK manufactured tractor and saved money but I bought my Massey Ferguson because I felt it had a better dealer network and part availability which provide better reliability to me in the long run. Nothing like not being able to get parts for a broken piece of equipment.

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-02-26          194636

I am not blind to the county of origin meaning will not auto buy say USA label but will give some preference to it. One label we are very strong on is where seafood comes from, no Asian due to its history of disease. If all were to me the same would pay a little more for Canada or USA label over any other. Especially if something you may need parts for.

As to the mowers at JD store of the JD at Home Depot no idea how they may compare or not but it is not just is the engine the same how about the deck and such. Might be, not my style of mower and not throwing off just we mow too much for those mowers.

Then in my profession I am an insurance agent and do sell with a USA company owned by USA Chinese now and also some with Canadian owned companies but do not with any company out side of US or Canadian owned for I have no idea how well some of those countries regulate a company and insurance is normally a long term product. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-02-26          194637

I am not blind to the county of origin meaning will not auto buy say USA label but will give some preference to it. One label we are very strong on is where seafood comes from, no Asian due to its history of disease. If all were to me the same would pay a little more for Canada or USA label over any other. Especially if something you may need parts for.

As to the mowers at JD store of the JD at Home Depot no idea how they may compare or not but it is not just is the engine the same how about the deck and such. Might be, not my style of mower and not throwing off just we mow too much for those mowers.

Then in my profession I am an insurance agent and do sell with a USA company owned by USA Chinese now and also some with Canadian owned companies but do not with any company out side of US or Canadian owned for I have no idea how well some of those countries regulate a company and insurance is normally a long term product. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-02-26          194638

Maybe I feel the same about certain brands, never owned a Cat but to me that brand is worth some more than I will even say a Kubota of same HP if both had such in a tractor. Just think the Cat would be built heavier. Then not sure that is true for not sure who makes the Challenger label which were Cat tractors for Agco has either owner ship of that label now or just the Challenger label and Cat is no longer on it.

Still know the lowest price means little about the value of the product. Only means it is the lowest price. Might be the best value or may be the worst. Guess the saying buyer beware is more true today than ever. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2016-02-26          194639

Last year I was in the market for a 60 gal air compressor. I did my internet homework and discovered that all of those discount 60 gal compressors are all made in China by the same company and come with terrible reviews (look at the Loews reviews for their Kobalt model). Long story short, I wanted quality and found a Canadian Company that sells "made in canada" air compressors! Couldn't believe it, so I bought one. So far its fantastic and definately of high quality components, such as a Marathon motor (Mexico), Square D pressure switch (USA) and good welds with a nice paint job. Yes, it cost me $300-400 more than the comparable Chinese compressor, but it works and factory tested before shipping. My air hoses are Good-Year, my connectors Milton, both made in the USA. And, using Amsoil synthetic compressor oil (USA). You can find North American tools, you just have to look hard for them and pay an extra premium...but you won't be disappointed. ....

View my Photos
Christopher1

2018-07-30          197891

One of the top power tool manufacturers is Eastman Shop. They supply tools and power tools to over 40 countries around the world. The awards they won include Engineering Export Award, National Export Award, and EEPC National Award. The range of power tools included Angle Cutter, Marble and Stone Cutter, Angle Grinder, Electric Drill and Screwdriver, and Electric Drill. Their hand tools include Pliers - mini pliers, circlip pliers, side cutting, long nose, Hammers - cross pein, plastic mallet, claw, Spanners and Wrenches, and more. The countries include those in Africa and Middle East, Asia, Europe, Central America, Russia, and South America. You have automotive tools, repair tools, tools for construction work and gardening work. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login