Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dog bitten by yellow water snake

View my Photos
einnoc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-07-14          184266

my dog is my baby and he has got bitten by a [[i think]] a yellow bellied water snake. got no phone or way out and i live in the cut. what do i do or what do i watch for? please help me

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-07-15          184267

If that's what is was (and you're likely right because they're so common in the south), I'm quite sure they're not poisonous and your pet should recover. Where's the bite? Are you located in La Coupe?

Back to your tractor, if you can't get to a store but have wiring, clips, connectors, and an on-off switch, you could make yourself an external starter/tester. (Or if you have mail delivery, you could order one.) Otherwise you could try shorting the starter terminals, but be careful and make sure it's in neutral with the brake on.

Good luck with both. ....

View my Photos
einnoc

2012-07-15          184269

thanks for the reply. he was bite on the leg. he feels bad and isnt wanting to eat but he is still kicking and smiling at me. we have seen a lot of water snakes round here. this is sharon sc. a few miles from middle of no where.
i do have those things you mentioned but not quiet the know how you do. i am kinda new at this but i was industrial painter for 25ish years. im doin home thing now . . slowly
if you dont mind elaborating a little about that tester it would be helpful or the thing with the starter terminals. i have heard about it but didnt want to try it until i had more details. safety. . .i have tore up alot of things lately. thanks for your time. appreciate it.

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-07-15          184273

I thought maybe "The Cut" in Louisiana.

Spread the fur below and especially above the bite on both legs and press the back of a finger on both skins. You want to see if the bit leg feels hot or swollen compared to the same place on the other leg. If so, or if the dog isn't perking up, look for a veterinary clinic in the local online Yellow Pages and email them for advice, explaining your situation. They will tell you to bring the dog in, but might offer additional help. Meanwhile, don't let it get dehydrated; encourage it to drink water or eat moist (preferably canned) dog food.

The first things to check are the battery cables and starter switch. If you can't use a multimeter to do this, if it spins properly when you bypass both, you know it has to be one of them causing the problem. One way is to press a metal object across the starter terminals, called shorting or jumping. You'll get crackles and sparks. The better way is to run a wire from the positive (larger, maybe with a red cover) terminal to an on-off switch to the starter terminal. Which is the starter terminal? If there are two large terminals plus a smaller one, it will be the smaller one. If not, you'll have to go by trial-and-error. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-07-17          184306

just saw your questions this afternoon.

How did both turn out? ....

View my Photos
einnoc

2012-07-18          184315

dog and tractor is doing good. actually my dog is feeling a little better than tractor. having brake issues. i am new to the tractor world and lovin it but the unknown is whats getting me like where do you put the fluid in at? lol

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-07-18          184324

Well if you are asking where to put the fluid in it means you know how to check it and what kind of fluid it is. Sometime many others don't know.

I remember many years ago my mother who only learned to drive in her 40's or so and a neice of mine checked her car oil and decided it was low. She told about it and how she now understood whey a service station charged so much to add oil. Turned out they had slowly, very slowly added a quart of oil using the dipstick tube.

Tractors can be inestering on where to add some fluids for they can be plugs you remove and have to know which plug is which. Gear boxs on cutters and such are also fun until you check one or two and gain the confidence to know what you are seeing.

BTW, welcome fellow rural Sandlaper to TP. I an between Aynor and Conway about 20 miles from Myrtle Beach.
KT ....

View my Photos
einnoc

2012-07-21          184377

i wish it was my vehicles brakes, that i have a little more knowledge to go on than the tractor. i am sure i will figure it out one way or another. i always do. but thanksfor the story.
i am in the cut in uppersouth carolina

View my Photos
einnoc

2012-07-23          184393

My dog Tae is doing fine. a little puffy spot on his leg where he got bitten but other than that all is well here in the cut and with my tractor.

just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice and concerns from everybody. thanks connie

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login