Go Bottom Go Bottom

Water in hydraulic transmission fluid

View my Photos
Thomas Deibert
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-16          17245

Please advise. I accidently added 6 to 12 ounces of an aqueous deck cleaning solution to the transmission fluid in my JD4400. Is there any way I can rectify this situation short of draining the approx. 7 gallons of transmission fluid from the tractor and replacing it. The hydraulic/transmission fluid currently in the tractor only has about 10 hours on it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-16          17249

It sounds like the biggest problem you will have is if the deck cleaner you poured in is not compatible with the seals in the tractor, if the cleaner reacts with them and causes them to swell, pucker or deteriorate, then the tractor will have to be disasembled and re-sealed. I hope for your sake this is not the case. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Thomas Deibert

2000-06-16          17251

What would be the best course of action for limiting the potential scope of contamination. I have not started the tractor since adding the cleaning solution. Typically you run the tractor for a little while to warm up the transmission fluid before draining. In this case, however, would it be better to just drain the fluid cold so as not to risk further contamination by distributing the cleaning solution throughout the system. Or is all lost at this point if the cleaning solution is incompatible with the seals. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-16          17252

Deck Cleaning solution is a very caustic, bleach based liquid. The best thing you can do is to call some dealers service department for advice, immediately, you definitely need to get that stuff out of there, the cost of the replacement fluid is nothing in comparison to the potential problems. Perhaps the fluid could be pressured out via air pressure some way so that it does not have to flow through the system and the existing fluid could help flush that stuff out. Good Luck let us know how you make out. Let's hope that what's caustic to wood is "Ice Cream" to metal and seals! :) Good To Dream anyway. ....

View my Photos
Thomas Deibert

2000-06-16          17253

Thanks for the help. I called my dealer. Hopefully they will be able to drain the system today. Hopefully, when all is said and done, the only thing damaged in all of this is may ego and not the tractor. Thanks again for all your help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login