Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil type

View my Photos
Matt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-23          14091

I was just wondering if anybody knows what type of oil to use in small air cooled engines. Strait 30 Right? How about Detergent or non-Detergent any help would be great. Thanks, Matt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Oil type

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-24          14124

Good old fashioned, run of the mill 30w (10w-30w if you use the engine in cold very temps.). Detergent or not is up to you but I would be surprised if you could find a straight 30w oil with detergent, since it is now used only for air compressors, small engines, etc., but if the engine has much blow-by I wouldn't suggest running detrgent type because of the sludging it will cause. ....

Oil type

View my Photos
JJT

2000-03-24          14130

If this is an old engine find some non detergent motor oil. The babbit bearing in the old engines will be damaged by detergent motor oil. If you've already used detergent oil, flush things out with Kerosene and make the switch. ....

Oil type

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-24          14136

I guess it really depends on which engine and how old, doesn't it? The manual for my DR trimmer/mower with Briggs & Stratton engine specifies 30W detergent oil, and it's readily available. I use Quaker State and usually buy it at Wal-Mart. Just about the only thing I use non-detergent oil for is to put in the impact wrenches I repair/rebuild. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login