Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kerosene

View my Photos
Rick Gessler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-02          11664

Anyone know if it is ok to burn kerosene?. I have a large amount that I have no other use for.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kerosene

View my Photos
Wild Bill

2000-01-02          11665

I would take it if it was clean, and you were close. Give it to a friend to burn in his or her oil furnace, that is if you don't have one. Should burn quite nicely there if it isn't ancient. I am sure somebody can use it. How much are you talking about??? Bill ....

Kerosene

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-04          11685

As long as you are located (or only planning on using it) in warm weather you will be fine. Save yourself some grief though and filter it before putting it in the tractor. I have burned (rarely) straight kerosene , and commonly used 1/2 & 1/2 diesel/kerosene mix in trucks, skid-steers, tractors, etc. You will probably notice a big power difference (and a lot more smoke) unless you add a cetane booster though. Immeadiately after finishing it all off change your fuel filter, and flush tank out, it will be full of wax and sediment. Usually, unless you have a LOT of FREE kerosene it really isn't worth it. Check with your local feul distributor (wholesaler), most will swap you the kerosene for a lesser amount of diesel, a MUCH BETTER way to go... ....

Kerosene

View my Photos
ThatGuy

2000-03-01          13320

I may be off base here, and I stand to be corrected... BUT I have to disagree with the previous post, Kerosene is widely used to 'winterize' diesel fuel. I just got back from a tour of an Exxon terminal, and their winter diesel is a mixture of 80% diesel and 20% kero. When you add Kero it lowers the waxing point of the diesel so it wont gel up until a lower temperature in the winter. Kero is a cleaner (more refined - hence more expensive) cousin of diesel so that it can be burned in those portable kero heater and not have alot of fumes emitted. YOu should have no trouble mixing it with diesel and burning it in your tractor.. You CAN NOT mix it in a 'licensed vehicle' unless it is CLEAR though - the dyed kero does not have federal tax included and if caught the IRS can fine you (approx $1000 min). If you have any doubts just ask a local fuel distributor if he thinks it would be safe to burn it as a diesel/kero mixture and follow his advise on the ratio.

Kerosene

View my Photos
Reginald W. Lamson

2000-03-02          13341

I use to work for a telephone company.All of the buildings in my area had emergency generators powered by diesel.They all burned white kerosene year round. ....

Kerosene

View my Photos
TomG

2000-03-03          13388

Reg: Nearly the same here. All critical facilities have diesel generator backups. I know the fuel supplier who said all the specs require #1 diesel year around.

Guess critical public facilities have enough money to buy equipment that is big enough so they don't have to worry about the power loss of #1 compared to #2 diesel. ....

Kerosene

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-03-03          13416

Also, many of these are back-up systems where the fuel sits for long periods of time. The pararfin and sludge build-up problems are much lesser for kero. ....

Kerosene

View my Photos
Rick Seymour

2000-03-03          13433

In the early 70's I worked on a private yacht with a pair of 12V 71 supercharged Detroit Diesels and a pair of 30kw generators. As we had dry smokestacks we also burned kero because it produced less smoke & soot. By the way, we burned 35 gal per hour.
However, on my TC29D I just use fuel additive & that has taken care of any "winter fuel" problems here in SE Michigan.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login