Go Bottom Go Bottom

Social security numbers released

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-30          138399

My friggen state, WISCONSIN sent out my wife's and my tax forms (booklets) thru the mail the other day. On the very outside mailing address USED BY EVRYONE to see where to send it, is our social security numbers!
I can't believe that we are still using social security numbers to protect our privacy and everyone and their uncle seems to have access and uses them.
What the f---k, our most personel information, is being mailed for the world to see. Our names addreses and social security numbers are now public knowlege if there is even one bad apple out there that handled our mail.

Wisconsin should be required to fire everyone that was involved in this or put alot of money in a trust for those affected. Who knows when this will effect us. A smart person would hold on to this info untill the dust settles

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JimP

2006-12-30          138400

BA - looks like you made the national news scene. Saw your post then saw this on Yahoo!

Link:   Wisconsin Tax forms mailed with Social Security numbers

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-30          138402

As I got my SS late in life the government agent stated that we should not allow anyone to use it if it was not tax related. It would be nice if the state would get on the program.

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-01          138419

Man---I'll tell ya---I'm all for taking responsibility and accountable

(funny, being the oldest of 5 kids, growing up my dad always told me, "Jeffrey, YOU ARE responsible for THAT, and I'm holding you accountable!)

Anywho...it seems like all those invloved should be held liable for their crap. They just don't use their heads--shoot, they'll get paid anyway right or wrong.

If this happened in Michigan, Jeffrey Fieger (well known attorney) would be all over this.

I had to laugh the last time I was home---my former insurance agent was selling "indentity theft insurance". I have to wonder that if someone did steal our information (of course it's NOT stealing if it's PRINTED on the envelope). Is there a class action suit you could bring against the state? No one likes to sue their own state, but things generally don't change policy wise unless it goes to court AND there is money involved.

(I had a scare this past Thanksgiving---neighbor called to say my home was broken in to. From the sounds of it nothing was disturbed or taken (other than a broken window)--even jars of coins on the TV were still there. My credit union put the fear of God in me when they said that is the easiest way for thieves to steal your identity is by stealing your personal papers--not items) ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2007-01-02          138431

Yep, I agree.
My wife already has a "fraud alert" on her credit recoreds. I had to put it on hers last fall. We got a letter from her 403B administration office saying their records were breeched and everyone SS number was stolen along with other personel ID info! They all stepped up to the plate and will pay for anything related to any bad doings PLUS will pay for credit checks every month for awhile. More than what my state has proposed so far.
What I think is kinda scary is what can be done with a small amount of info. So if someone was a crimminal (a young one) and decided to keep the info they got for , "say, 20 years" Then use it! WOW, one would wonder where it came from and the state would be off the hook! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-01-04          138487

Come on guys, you know the government is not responsible for any screwup it does. Which is most of what it does. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-01-05          138493

Cutter,

You are right the government is screwed up, I wonder who voted in those nuts. Oh crap I think I know.:-( ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login