Go Bottom Go Bottom

Whirlpool response on OK gun issue

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-17          100459

I don't live in Oklahoma, but this issue of them filing suit against the law that allows employees to keep firearms in their cars got to me. Seems to me if they cared about employee safety they would let employees defend themselves. So I wrote them an email to tell them their management is hoplophobic, and below is the response I got. I guess I'll add Whirlpool and the companies listed in their response to my "do not buy" list.

[begin response]

Thank you for taking the time to write Whirlpool Corporation and express your concerns.

In response to your email inquiry, regarding Whirlpool's position on Oklahoma Firearm Amendments. Please know that our challenge to the recently amended Firearms and Self-Defense Act was prompted by concern for the safety and health of our employees at our Tulsa, Oklahoma facility.

Other companies, The Williams Companies, The Nordam Group, Conoco Phillips, Ramsey Winch Company, Norris D.P. Manufacturing Company, Tulsa Winch Company, Auto Crane Company and the Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce, share our concern and have joined this process.

The amendments would allow individuals to enter Whirlpool property in Tulsa with firearms --- an action that would violate our global-wide policy ban on firearms on Whirlpool property. Moreover, the amendments create many questions that need clarity, which is why we have challenged the amendments in Federal Court.

While we appreciate all points of view, we have a responsibility to ensure the safety and well being of employees at each of our facilities worldwide.

We have taken, and plan, no other action in this matter.

Lastly, please know that Whirlpool will abide by whatever ruling the court issues.

Thank you again for contacting Whirlpool Corporation.

Sincerely,
Whirlpool Corporation

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Whirlpool response on OK gun issue

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-17          100464

Ken, all this came about when the Weyerhaeuser paper mill, in Valliant OK, fired a bunch of guys for having firearms in their vehicles. I haven't heard in a while but the guys do have a lawsuit against Weyerhaeuser. I know a couple of them personally but haven't talked to them in ages. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login