Go Bottom Go Bottom

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-17          71469

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with an issue I'm having with my 1998 7305 (hydro) which currently has 442 hours. When I bought it (used with 350 hrs) the dealer went through it - changed all the oils & filters and gave it a once over for me so that I would not have to do any scheduled maintenance for a period of time.

My problem: I've noticed that it seems to be losing its power. Lately when I go to drive it to the neighbors or the park to do some work I can't drive it in High Gear - it starts speeds up fine, but shortly after I get up to speed it starts slowing down - to the point that it is creeping along. I've also noticed that if I'm plowing the driveway it tends to bog down as I am pushing the snow. Thinking on it, I believe that when I was mowing this fall it would slow down as I would go up hills (more than normal).

Here is what I see when it does slow/bog down: the rpms of the motor go down with the speed - as it gets slower I sometimes see bluish smoke coming from the exhaust - lastly a few times it has smelled "hot".

I thought that maybe it needed a hydro fluid & filter change, so I went to my local dealer, bought a filter (both hydro and hydraulic) and the oil and changed it - it seemed to be better for the next few runs but then it started acting up again.

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
jkinney

2003-12-17          71497

Have you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the bowl also while doing this look for water condensation I would change fuel filters and add some time of fuel additive. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-17          71501

I did replace the fuel filter and the air filter as well. I haven't seen anything indicative of a problem such as condensation in the bowl.

As far as the lack of power - as I mentioned I see it when I'm driving in high gear (all the time) and it doesn't matter if I'm going up hill, on flat ground, or down hill - it always slows down. In fact - the rpms on level ground will go from 2000 down to 1200 as it slows (I don't usually let it drop that far but have seen it drop that much once).

Also, I've noticed that I don't seem to have as much power at my mower either. I used to go through long grass with no problem, but now even the mower can bog down when I'm using it. I used to do my mowing in M gear - but now I have to use L when I'm working on the inclines.

Any other ideas? ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71508

If the temperature is OK. Then I would check the filter on the intake line which is in the fuel tank. The screen takes out the bigger particles which is what you commonly get in the diesel fuel. If this clogs then the system has trouble pulling enough fuel. As you run at speed this is when you see the problem this is indicative of this root cause as the finds in the bottom of the tank tend to collect on the filter screen and then drop off when you stop.
Also make sure that you have the winter blend as you could get waxing this time of year with the same result, a clogged intake screen. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71533

Do you mow in four wheel drive? ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-12-17          71536

On a hydro, particularly in high range, if you set the RPM's too low it will bog down, increase the RPM up to 2600 or so, and let us know if it still bogs down. Also if the throttle RPM is too the hydro pedal will be more sensitive sudden chomps on it so be gentle on the peddle also. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-17          71540

As far as the rpms that I'm running at in high gear - I have run as high as 2700 and the same thing happens at all ranges. As I mentioned before, I do accelerate (not jump on it) up to speed. But once I'm there for a short period of time it begins to slow down - and will continue to slow down to a crawl. As I mentioned the rpms will drop as the speed drops. Now, if I left up on the peddle some then the rpms jump back up but the tractor never picks the speed back up if I slowly step down on the peddle again.

As far as the strainer in the tank for the fuel line - I've never looked at it. Is it easy to get to? I'm trying to visualize my tank - they are a molded with a soldered line coming off the bottom where the fuel line connects (I believe). How do you get to the strainer inside??

Yes - it is getting cold here now. I currently have #2 but have a fuel additive to help me get through this tank. I'll be running winterized fuel till spring. But this problem is occuring in the summer as well as now.

Lastly, I mow in 2 wheel drive for most of my property. There are however a few areas where I use 4 wheel so I don't slip and tear up the ground.

I think I mentioned (maybe I didn't) that this problem has slowly come and got worse and worse - then I did the changing of the filters and the fluids and it seemed to pick up a bit for a short period but then it came back on again.

I appreciate everyones help! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-17          71541

You should check the brakes. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-17          71542

Art - when you say check the brakes - do you mean the linkages? What should I look for (I'm new to this with my tractor - but mechanically inclined)? Am I looking for binding - lack of travel - or physically checking the brakes themselves?

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-18          71557

To run a hydro you don't wear out clutch's and the other good thing is they don't wear the brakes out like on a gear drive as you hardly use them because the hydro's hold back. Unfortunatly the brakes aren't being used much so they tend to rust up a little and we have been seeing where they are being held on by the rust. The petal often feels nearly the same but you will find a dead or no resistance in the petals early travel. Then it will feel like they are hard as a rock. They do tighten up the more you drive from the heat.

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-18          71579

Musher;
What you describe is exactly like what occured on mine and other tractors. I am not sure where the strainer is in your system. My 955 JD I could pull the gauge unit from the top of the tank and clean the screen strainer. If it is too full it might need it more than once or you many need to remove the tank and rinse it out.
I am sure there are other possible causes but if you found some improvement from changing the fuel filter then?
Peters ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-18          71584

Art,

Thanks for the info - I'll check into them and see what I find.

Peters,

As far as the fuel fitler - I can't say for sure that it did anything. I changed all the filters and fluids (just for maintenance - even though the dealer said they changed them). The reason I really was changing them, I was advised to start with changing the hydro & hydraulic filters & fluid - so I did everything with them. So I can't really say what made it run better for a while.

Also, I should say that this is not a daily driver. If we don't have snow, it will actually sit for a while (which has been the last few winters unfortunately!!!). In the summer it gets used two days a week (maybe three or four on a few) - so it does sit short periods of time (3-4 days during summer & possibly 1 month during winter).

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
yooperpete

2003-12-18          71587

The guys have all given you good suggestions. You need to rule out several of the possiblities. 1. The brakes could be on or not fully disengaged. 2. You could have bad diesel fuel. 3. The fuel line could be plugged or crimped. 4. lastly, you could have some engine trouble. That is not likely.

Art's suggestion dealt with brakes. Could the brakes be on or not fully disengaged? If you dump the clutch or put the pedal in neutral position, does the rpm go up again? If the RPM's go up real fast and healthy sounding you may have a brake engagement problem. Please don't be insulted by the next two sentences. The brake lock lever is just adjacent to the brake pedal. In the down position it is "unlocked", pulled up toward you it is "locked". The lever above it is your "cruise control". Could that be locked in position trying to go full speed with too little rpm?

When running you tractor, you should idle at about 1500rpm. Use it above that. "High" range is only for driving from point "a" to "b". You can also do some mowing in that range but I found "Midrange" works better. Do all grading and medium duty work in this range. Use "Lowrange" for your moldboard plow and digging into stone/gravel to scoup with the FEL. If you do allot of light duty work, you will get some "Blue smoke" for a while when first running your moldboard plow at full out. (I.E. you must burn out the carbon) You should be able to plow with a single bottom up to 6 or 8 inches deep even in clay. I have 27 HP vs: your 30 HP. I also have turf tires. I use differential lock and spin all 4 when hitting hard spots doing 8" deep. Plowing Six inches deep is a breeze. Plows are cheap through Tractor Supply.

It sounds like you have already cleaned the fuel filter and sediment bowl. I would follow the fuel line full length from tank to engine and look for something out of the norm like a "kink" in the line. I think you will have a braided line. Look particulary at all of the mounting clamps. I would drain the tank and pull the screen in the inlet and peek into the tank with a flashlight and look for scale. You could have a chunk of stuff stuck somewhere in the line.

Plugged hydro fluid lines will make it go slow. Sometimes the filled gets sucked in and collapses. This plugs the fluid to the tranny and the tractor will go slow but shouldn't affect the motor RPM.

If none of these suggestions work, you should contact your dealer and talk with the mechanic. When idling at low rpm's you get allot of vibration. Something simple may have vibrated loose. Cadets are good tractors and yours isn't even broken in yet. Mine is a 7275 with about 600 hrs. on it. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-18          71605

One way to see if it's the brakes is to get it going at a relatively good speed and step on the clutch petal and see how fast it stops. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-18          71613

Musher;
Everything that you have said still points to the screen. If the diesel sat and turned a little (biologics) then the screen is the first thing to get plugged. I also changed the fuel filter and had some improvement, but ended up needing to clean the pickup screen.
It definately could be the brakes but you can easily tell if they are dragging if you feel the casing after running a little. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-19          71710

With the intake screen - how do you get to it? Drop the line - drain the tank - then what? Is there a simple way to remove it? ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-19          71712

Follow your inlet line back from the filter and pump to the diesel tank. Their should be a plate on the top of the tank that you can remove to replace the fuel fill sender unit and clean the filter.
Peters ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-22          71948

Alright - I've done a little checking and here is what I found out:

1. I pulled the sender unit to check the pick up filter - there isn't one (a pick up filter). I just have the two lines coming from the tank - the tank looks clean as a whistle.

2. The brakes - Art you were right - I have a small amount of free travel and then once the free travel is gone - hard as a rock. So I climbed on the side and watched the linkage move - the linkage moves till the free play is out and then nothing. The linkages on the sides of the pumpkin don't move fore or aft when pushing and releasing the pedal. Then I did the drive test - got going 8 MPH or so and jumped on the clutch. I started slowing down quickly until I hit the ice - then I watched both back wheels lock up until I slid across the ice and hit pavement again and then I slowed to a stop quick.

So - Art you are the man! So my new question - knowing it's the brakes what do I do next? Are there any tricks that can be used to get them to free up and clean up? Or, do they need to be overhauled (replaced). If they need to be worked on - is this something I can do myself? Looking under there it looks like the brakes are part of the rear axle.

Thanks for everyone help so far! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-22          71977

Since the problem does lie with the brakes: with the rusting or sticking that has been mentioned, is it the actual brakes that are stuck or is it the linkage that typically is stuck? If it is the linkage what do you recommend to free it and how (seeing that the linkage seems to go into the sides of the pumpkin)? Some form of lubricant? If it is the actual brakes themselves - I'm suspecting that I'm in for a trip to the dealer. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks for all your help! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-23          71988

When this happens there is only one solution to it. Take it apart and clean all parts thoughly and apply proper lubricant to all pivoting and moving parts. Chances are unless you have over heated the parts from the friction you might be able to reuse everything. You will know more when you get to look at the parts. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
rozett

2003-12-25          72174

I had the same problem with my 7360.... and I agree with the others. It is fuel related. I replaced my fuel filter and completely cleaned the bowl and casting. It solved the problem for me. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-30          72693

Well, since I now am pretty sure it's my brakes (see my previous posting) I took a look underneath and don't think I'll be attempting to service the brakes myself (It's cold here in MN and no fun crawling underneath to tear apart something I haven't done before). So I called the dealer where I bought the machine and talked with the service dept. They agreed it could be my brakes. I asked about cost and they said they should be able to get it done in a day. Labor he figured about $400.00 to tear down, fix, and reassemble.

Since I don't know much about servicing tractors (I know lots about cars/trucks/boats) does this sound reasonable for tearing down both sides? Any input will help! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-30          72695

I don't think that is to bad a price for the labor. Does it include the trucking? I would ask for the parts back and then you can see where the major problem is and what might have caused it. I just have to know things like that. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-30          72708

It does not include the trucking. I will trailer it to the shop (1 hr away) so that it can be serviced (saves on trucking). As far as the parts I will ask for them back (if they need to be replaced). What would I look for with the parts if they are returned? ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-30          72711

mushing, I see from your profile that you probably used to work in Rochester at IBM before going to St Mary's. I'm also in Rochester but live in Wisconsin. We're practically neighbors. When you get your deer plots in you'll be able to bring in those big Whitewater bucks that roam around over there.

Good luck with the tractor. Keep us informed.

Too bad about those Vikings eh. Go Packers! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-30          72738

When I take something apart I study it. At that time when removing the pieces you can see how they have been working by wear patterns from use. You might want to know why the system dried up! Is it something that can be prevented in the future. You have a good tractor that will do what you need for years, if you have brake problems every few years then the tractors not right for the conditions of it's job or it is having a problem existing in it's habitat. ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-30          72748

Shortmagnum - yes I'm a former IBM'r. Saint Mary's is my alma mater and they asked if I would come back and teach - it was the family time vs work time issue (I had my first child just after starting there and a few more later). I wanted more time at home with my kids under less pressure at work. I loved it there - but I love teaching more!

As for the foodplot to take those bucks - YES SIR!!! I have lots of deer around (a few nice bucks) but would like to see more of them with nicer racks.

Art - thanks for the input - I'll see what I can find out about the breakdown of the braking system and hopefully it can be prevented (maybe I just need to use the brakes!!!! they hardly see any use).

I'll keep you all posted - I hope to be in the shop in a week or so! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2004-01-01          72855

Happy New Year Everyone!

I just thought I would update you all on my problem. I watched a few football games today and the parade with my kids, and then headed outside to a balmy 35 degree afternoon and did a little playing on my brakes. I removed the link bar from to the actuator on the rear axle and took my biggest channel lock and broke the linkage loose in the axle on both sides. I then added about two inches of free play to the link bar and hooked up the brakes. Then I pumped the brakes for about 30 minutes - they worked loose and now move very nicely!!! I then hooked up my brakes re-adjusted them and now have brakes that work once again!

I did the test of driving and pushing in the clutch - I coast!!! I then did quite a bit of driving around using the brakes (to make sure they didn't stick back) and my power is back! In fact I have more than I ever did (since I bought it). I suspect that those brakes have been stuck since I bought the machine.

So - I was able to drive in high gear and not see my rpms drop and my speed stay up. I was even able to drive up my hill road (about an 8 percent grade) in high gear and it never broke a sweat!!! I'm pumped!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help! I can't wait to use the machine more - come on snow!!!

Hope you all had a nice holiday season! See you in the postings! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-01          72858

I think that's great! I would still have caution for fear of a return of the problem if it is rust. There could be changes in the amount of humidity in the storage shelter as to the condensation in the brake area. Good luck! ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
wallac

2004-01-02          72913

Why not coat it with anti-seize? ....

7305 - Lack of power

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2004-01-03          72957

Coating with an anti-seize compound does make sense. Looking at the rear axle however, it seems that it would all have to be disassembled to get into it to coat any of the linkages that were having troubles. The linkage that was stuck was the arm that goes through the casting on the rear axle and goes inside the axle itself (it could have been the brakes that were stuck inside - I don't know since I didn't disassemble).

Life is good now however. I think that I will just try to get into the habit of using the brakes more often (I don't think I've used them more than 2 or 3 times in the past year). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login