Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 6284D Hydrostatic transmission slow speed

View my Photos
sfuchs58
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2018-10-31          198082

I'm new to the forum and have read some threads about hydro-static transmission issues. I bought my tractor in July 2018, it has been working fine until just lately. The issue is that in forward and reverse (in hi or low range ) it moves very slowly no matter the rpm of the engine. The oil level is good in the transmission, could the problem be a plugged oil filter? It has just under 200 hours on it so I will be changing filters and fluid soon.
I have also noticed the tachometer only registers speed when the engine is being started and nothing during running time. I assume a loose wire connector for that issue. Where is the sending unit for the tach?
Also the glow plugs system only stays on for 5 seconds or so and I can see that in cold weather that will not be long enough to start the engine. Can that glow plug on time be adjusted at all. I have not tested the plugs yet, it just seems like a short time frame to me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2018-10-31          198083

I had a similar problem once. It turned out that the hydraulic filter was partially clogged and would collapse under use, giving jerky motion. The other portion of yoirbproblems sounds like a loose electrical connection. ....

View my Photos
chashm

2018-10-31          198088

Glow Plugs - 5 seconds is about right, and is plenty even when it's cold out. You may get some black smoke & rough idling for a minute or two till the engine warms up some.
Remember that #2 diesel that doesn't have antigel added will wax up and clog everything in the fuel system if the temp goes much below about freezing. Then you may be stuck till spring...

Tach sender - it looks like it's on the right side of the engine near the front from the parts diagram. If this is a brand-new tractor, get the dealer to repair under warranty. Otherwise the sensor is pretty pricey; check the wiring thoroughly first. Also, the ignition switch may be funky as I think you're saying the tach works when the switch is at 'start' but not when it's at 'run'.

(Old tractors - mine is from 2003ish - used a speedometer cable to drive the tach and the 'hour meter', which really counts engine revs but displays hours (divide revs by revolutions-per-hour at a normal operating speed); this is nominally a better gauge of when to change the engine fluids than strictly on-hours.) ....

View my Photos
3rdbase

2018-11-01          198089

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuchs58 | view 198082
I'm new to the forum and have read some threads about hydro-static transmission issues. I bought my tractor in July 2018, it has been working fine until just lately. The issue is that in forward and reverse (in hi or low range ) it moves very slowly no matter the rpm of the engine. The oil level is good in the transmission, could the problem be a plugged oil filter? It has just under 200 hours on it so I will be changing filters and fluid soon.I have also noticed the tachometer only registers speed when the engine is being started and nothing during running time. I assume a loose wire connector for that issue. Where is the sending unit for the tach? Also the glow plugs system only stays on for 5 seconds or so and I can see that in cold weather that will not be long enough to start the engine. Can that glow plug on time be adjusted at all. I have not tested the plugs yet, it just seems like a short time frame to me.

I don't know if this applies to you but I'll mention it anyway. I have a 5234D and experienced the same symptoms with sluggish and slow movement regardless of engine RPMs. The problem in my case was low gear oil. I filled the gear oil reservoir and that solved the problem. The gear oil reservoir is located on the front axle. ....

View my Photos
3rdbase

2018-11-01          198090

I neglected to mention that the glow plug lighting up for about 5 seconds is about right. If the engine doesn't start, that's is most likely NOT the reason. ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2018-11-01          198093

There was a factory upgrade on the hydrostat filter on the 6284. It required an adapter block attached to the trans housing and accepted a different model of filter. Whether the upgrade was associated to performance issues I don't know. The reverse flow filter housing is Cub part #919-04163 and the hydraulic oil filter number is #923-3014. Note that this was a running change and depending on when your 6284 was built it may have that installed from the factory.

Cold starting has been important to me since I cut and haul a lot of wood in the winter. I even put tire chains on all four corners (it's a really tight fit on the rears). Even with properly operating glow plugs my 6284 was always very difficult to start in temperatures below 20 degrees. Over time I have installed a larger battery, a relay to energize the starter directly from the battery (documented here elsewhere), even installing a push button switch for the starter, and (best of all) I installed a water jacket block heater. After several years of making these changes incrementally, I found that the block heater plugged in for 20 minutes lets the tractor start like a summer day.

Like all of my equipment I expect and require that my 6284 works hard summer and winter, in the woods or on my lawn. Considering that it is more a big garden tractor than a farm or industrial tractor it is impressive what I am able to do with it. ....

Picture Link
Cub Cadet Cub Cadet 6284D Hydrostatic transmission slow speed

View my Photos
boltboss

2018-11-01          198095

Hauling firewood with my 6284D ....

Picture Link
Cub Cadet Cub Cadet 6284D Hydrostatic transmission slow speed

View my Photos
sfuchs58

2018-11-02          198099

Wow, it's nice to have the quick feed back from you all.
I changed oil and filters on the trans today, there was a 2" long strip of form a gasket in the used filter. It may have helped some to increase the moving speed. I'll run it more this weekend and see.
One thing that has happened is the oil light on the dash is blinking. Not sure why but I know the oil level is full, in fact the book say's 26 qts. and that is past full on the dipstick. The hr. meter is also flashing chg oil / 301.20. I assume that is for engine oil and filter change hr marker. I changed that as well today. Is there a reset for the flashing oil light?
Boltboss, I will look into the factory upgrade for the trans filter and reverse flow filter housing. By the way that's a nice fork setup on your three point.
I like the sound of the block heater idea. Out here on the west side of the Cascade mountains it very seldom gets below 20 degrees though.
On the tachometer issue, I found that a spade connector had pulled out of the wire harness connector to the sending unit on the side of the engine block right near the fuel filter. So that was easy. ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2018-11-02          198100

The oil light flashes every 50 operating hours to indicate it's time to change oil. It will continue to do that for about half an hour or so. It is annoying as hell. It always seems to occur when you are doing something under load and it suddenly starts flashing, scaring you momentarily that something is wrong until you remember what is causing it. I am not aware of resetting it and I certainly don't follow the flashing idiot light to tell me when it is time to change oil and/or filter. I would much preferred that the factory would have provided an oil pressure gauge but I'm sure idiot lights are cheaper.

I think the block heater was a good investment. The Perkins engine is a great little engine but it doesn't like waking up in cold weather. If it doesn't catch within the first couple of tries when it is cold I've learned that all the cranking in the world won't get it until it gets warmed up with the heater. It only takes about 20 minutes to warm it up and it makes all the difference.

When starting in cold weather crank the throttle all the way open but be ready to throttle back down as soon as it catches to prevent over-revving the cold engine. Also, keep the fuel tank fuel to prevent condensation and I always treat the diesel fuel with Power Service Diesel Fuel treatment - summer and winter. It is a lot easier to prevent diesel fuel problems than to fix them after they occur.

View my Photos
sfuchs58

2018-11-29          198137

Boltboss, do you member what type water jacket heater you used. Was it a freeze plug type or thread in type.

So far I have changed transmission fluid and filter and no improvement on tractor speed. I will be looking into getting that adapter block and filter upgrade on order soon. I am the 3rd owner of this tractor and I don't know if this tractor has had the upgrade or not. I am wondering if Cub Cadet parts would have kept records on serial numbers of tractors that owners have upgraded already? I probably have better odds of winning the lottery then that happening!
Can a person tell the difference in the fluid adapter block without removing the old one?
Steve ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2018-11-29          198138

I installed a water jacket style block heater. My records show that I used Kats Frost Plug Engine Heater P/N 10422, but you may want to double check that. It installed pretty easy as I remember.

I don't remember if you can visually identify the upgrade filter mount but I'm guessing you could cross check the filter itself. I also don't know if the old style filter would fit on the updated filter block or vice versa. I can see how that might create a problem if it is the case. I believe that Sunstrand was the manufacturer of the transaxle and hydrostat so perhaps they could help if you can't find a knowledgeable Cub dealer (difficult to find because few Cub dealers ever dabbled in these tractors) My best help came from the parts guy at R. F. HOUTZ & SON, INC. - Phone #: (630)365-6551 - Elburn, IL.
I have a copy of the factory service bulletin regarding the filter upgrade but I am going to have to figure out how to upload it here.

I wonder if there is any adjustment to the travel linkage that might be contributing to your problem regarding travel speed. Perhaps something is bent, out of adjustment, or restricting its motion. I can't recall if that is discussed at all in the owners manual but I think it would be worth checking.

View my Photos
boltboss

2018-11-30          198140

I have tried numerous times to upload a copy of the Cub service bulletin regarding the hydraulic filter and this site is very clunky about uploading images. If you will contact me with your e-mail address I will send it to you. If it helps the service bulletin is Cub Cadet Service Advisory CC-566 dated April 11, 2007. ....

View my Photos
sfuchs58

2018-11-30          198141

Boltboss,
Thanks for your help. I found the advisory on another forum. In talking with the local cub dealer he described the reverse block and I realized that the upgrade was already done on my tractor. But I do have to get the correct filter for it. I hope the filter helps. The dealer said I need to check the forward/reverse control linkage for adjustment and ware or loose fasteners. Thanks again for your help.

SteveF ....

View my Photos
sfuchs58

2019-10-19          198799

Hey guys I'm finally getting back with the reason for my slow travel speed and possible transmission problem. I got under the tractor and followed the forward reverse linkage all the way back to the input shaft to the trans. What I found where the lock bolt that connects the linkage to the input shaft there was a broken off 5/16" tap in it were the locking bolt should have been. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. A previous owner must have had similar issues with forward/reverse movement and tried to re-tap the threads on the lock collar to input shaft connection. I guest when the tap broke and he could not get it out he figured it was tight enough to work.
Anyway I took it to the local Cub dealer and had then pull it all apart and make sure the input shaft was not messed up beyond repair. They gave the tractor a good going over while it was in there and found some loose frame bolts as well. It works great now.
Boltboss I just got my block heat for my tractor yesterday. Do you remember which freeze plug you removed to install your heater in. Does it matter which one? I was thinking the center one one the starter side of the motor locks to be the easiest to get to.
Thanks
Steve ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2019-10-21          198804

The freeze plug I replaced was near the center of the engine, behind the alternator and ahead of the starter. It was the one that is most accessible. ....

View my Photos
BeenThere

2020-09-17          199696

Hi, I know this is a very old thread that you posted on in 2009 regarding the Reverse Flow adapter and filter for a Cub Cadet 6284 tractor. I have a 2005 6284 that doesn't or has been converted to the adapter and filter. I ordered on and now have it to be installed.
Question: Does this Reverse Flow adapter installed on the lower left hydraulic transmission side?
Also, the adapter came with a "nipple" that appears to replace the one in the transmission.
I'm thinking this Reverse Flow assembly may replace the Hydrostatic filter instead of the hydraulic one. I would hate to drain all the 26 qts. of fluid and it be wrong. Reply if you like.

Thnks.

Fred ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login