Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to type chemical and math symbols

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-21          168165

I seem to remember several years ago that someone (Murf) listed the keystrokes for typing lots of different symbols, etc. I'm trying to type H2O getting the (2) to drop down. Likewise I'm trying to type squared symbols, etc.

Can anyone help me out on this one!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-01-21          168166

It's time consuming if you have a lot of them to insert. But the only way I know how is to copy and paste from the Windows Character Map. You can find it at Start/Programs/Accessories/Character Map

//greg// ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-01-21          168168

Thanks Greg, that gives me most of them but not the underscored ones, like for H2O. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-01-21          168169

Underscored? Perhaps you meant superscript. Like this: H²O. Go into the Character map Advanced section, you'll be able to sift and sort characters by category. Plus, I've found over the years that not all characters are available in all fonts. I'm guessin' you didn't look farther than the default Arial. Click the down arrow on the font line, the others will appear in a dropdown list.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-01-21          168170

Pete, what you should look for is called "special alt characters", just Google it, there's lots of listings.

There is also the possibility to use HTML code to do it, if you are doing it somewhere that supports HTML code.

I know for instance with water, it would be typed as;

< p > H < sub > 2 < / sub > O

When you remove all the blank spaces it looks like this when the machine finishes with it.

H2O - Water

Best of luck.

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-01-22          168175

Thanks for the help! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login