Go Bottom Go Bottom

foton alternator

View my Photos
whitey777
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-04-08          190002

I have a foton 425A and alternator is shot, I thought I saw where you can put a delco 12si 78 amp alternator on in place of china one. can someone tell me how to do this?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

foton alternator

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-09          190004

Lot of variables, many of the decisions have to be made on-site. Generally, new alternators don't come with a pulley, so you have to hope you can move the Foton pulley to the new alternator. Then you have to hope the new alternator will bolt directly onto the Foton bracket. If not, some bracket alteration may be necessary. And finally, it's not likely the Foton belt will be the right size. A new belt will have to be purchased and installed. Some folks who do this conversion get link belts (click on link below), which generally takes the worry out of getting the right size the first time.

//greg// ....

Link:   Link Belt

foton alternator

View my Photos
whitey777

2014-04-10          190011

thanks my friend, so would you just get a new china one and forget about changing over or take the time and make the change to hopefully eliminate any future problems? just wondering ....

foton alternator

View my Photos
richwaugh

2014-04-10          190013

I changed my Jinma 304 to a Delco 12Si alternator because I needed the extra ampacity to run additional work lights and an inverter. If you don't need the additional capacity, I'd just replace with the OEM alternator. If you want additional capacity, then go with the 12Si Delco. It's an easy conversion if you're handy with tools and can make your own mounting bracket if needed. ....

foton alternator

View my Photos
whitey777

2014-04-10          190019

thank you, is the wiring the same? pretty handy with wrenching and brackets, but not real knowledgeable with wiring/electrical stuff. ....

foton alternator

View my Photos
jobone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-04-10          190020

Did you have an unusually short lived original alternator?

If the answer is the alternator life was not particularly short I find the KISS (keep it simple stupid) approach is best for me, keeps me out of trouble. Just slap the another one of the same in and move on.

Or if you love to tinker have at it :)

foton alternator

View my Photos
jk_foton

2018-05-15          197743

Have been having problems with battery charging for a while with the original alternator/voltage regulator on a Foton 404.
Installed a Bosch automotive alternator with built in voltage regulator (2 wire type with B+/D+ connections, 80A) which seems to be working well now.
I ignored the original wiring almost completely, since it is rather unreliable. I spliced into the positive ON output of the key and wired it via an "idiot light" to the D+ post of the alternator (as far as I know it needs to go through a 12V ~2W incandesent lamp to work properly) and the B+ is just the battery + that is wired via starter.
With high beams on, the voltage is ~13.8V so - shouldn't run out of juice anytime soon.

Video linked in the post. ....

Link:   

Click Here

foton alternator

View my Photos
jk_foton

2018-05-15          197744

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac foton alternator

foton alternator

View my Photos
yocsr1

2018-05-21          197753

I hope you took a reading at the alt. first to confirm the alt. is faulty. The reason is I have plug-in connnector midway that loses connection and I have to spray with contact cleaner to get it back. When this happens my battery runs down and the alt. output is ok. I should replace line without a connector. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login