Go Bottom Go Bottom

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-23          162269

Hello. I'm a newbie here and pray someone can offer some ideas or point me in the right direction. I recently bought a Taishan TM 18 tractor and while I should've researched it beforehand, well I didn't. It's a decent looking and good running little tractor but I can't find out anything about it. No replacement parts, no specs on the tractor or specs on the motor. Heck, I can't even find out who mfg the motor. Does anyone know where I can find info on it like the valve clearance settings and procedure and/or a source for replacement parts? Any help will SURELY be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Poot

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-23          162276

Taishan (or tai shan) means "peak" in Chinese so you might join the website of the Chinese Tractor Owners Association. ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-23          162279

TaiShan (TS) is a division of KAMA (KM). I have one of each; a TS354C and a KM454. The model you cite suggests 18hp/2wd, and I'm going to guess it's a two cylinder. There should be a tag on the engine with manufacturer info; who/what/where/when, displacement (in liters), power (in KW) et cetera. These tags are usually found either on the valve cover, or on the side of the engine block. The tractor itself should have a tag as well. Most common locations to look are inside a fender (facing the seat) or alongside the transmission.

Once you post some more identifying info, I should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

//greg// ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot

2009-04-24          162280

Thanks Greg and at least this is a start! There is a tag braded to the side in the bell housing area but unfortunately it's ALL in Chinese. I've had the valve cover off so I know there's no tag there, maybe removed before me. I'll check the side of the block tomorrow and get back with you. ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot

2009-04-24          162281

I forgot...your correct in that it is a 2 cylinder 18hp. ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot

2009-04-24          162300

Evening Greg. The plate attached to the side of the transmission has three spaces containing stamped numbers, each preceeded and followed with Chinese letters. The first space has 8008, second has 91 (I assume year of MFG), the third was hard to read but looks like 111. I've looked all over the motor, both sides/top/front, even underneath, and there isn't another tag. I paid close attention in case there was one that had been painted the same color as the motor but there wasn't. I hope these numbers are enough to help you point me in the right direction!!!!
Have a good evening,
Poot ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-04-25          162301

Ok. Does it maybe look something like this? Ok. Does it maybe look something like this? [p]http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00FqaQbWErvTiyM/Tractor-TS-18-.jpg[/p]. If so, it's likely a TS18 rather than a TM18. The parent company of KAMA by the way, is ShanDong. But so far I haven't been able to pin down exactly what you have.<br>
<br>
Back to the engine. Hate to guess, but of the older two cylinder Chinese tractors - usually 18 and 20 hp models - I believe the most common would be the TY290. I'm going to suggest you walk the safe path, invest in a manual; <a href=http://www.manuals.us/browseproducts/Shunde-TY290--TY295K--engine-moperators--parts.HTML

//greg//" src="https://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00FqaQbWErvTiyM/Tractor-TS-18-.jpg" >. If so, it's likely a TS18 rather than a TM18. The parent company of KAMA by the way, is ShanDong. But so far I haven't been able to pin down exactly what you have.

Back to the engine. Hate to guess, but of the older two cylinder Chinese tractors - usually 18 and 20 hp models - I believe the most common would be the TY290. I'm going to suggest you walk the safe path, invest in a manual; http://www.manuals.us/browseproducts/Shunde-TY290--TY295K--engine-moperators--parts.HTML

//greg// ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot

2009-04-25          162304

Thank you Greg and now I'm gettng somewhere. I'm going to take a pic of it later today/tomorrow and post it. The front of mine looks more like a Kubota L1801 (minus the hoods side screen) then the pic you posted.
As for the TS and TM, on my grill is a small badge embossed with T/S. On the hood are decals, one side says "Simple Simon" and the other side says "Mountaineer" and I believe both sides have a TM18 decal. I'll also take some motor pics and maybe you can better tell what it is.
Thanks greatly!!!
Poot ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-04-25          162307

Did you follow the link to the manual? I'm curious if the engine on the cover rings any bells with ya

//greg// ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot

2009-04-25          162308

MANUAL: After clicking the 'enlarge' option beneath the pic, and with glasses on, I can't tell but I don't think it's like mine. I'm going out soon to take some pics and hopefully post later this evening. That's up to my wife to do because I'm somewhat 'technically challenged' in the pic posting area.
Poot ....

Taishan TM 18

View my Photos
53Poot

2009-04-25          162311

Greg, I took several pics but can't load them. My wife is a computer wizzz (seriously!) and works on the programming end for a major freight shipper. She cannot load them, something to do with the URL or HTTP or whatever that I don't get. Bottom line is on the site it's a no go. I've got 6 pics and the only way to get them to you is email/email. If that's ok let me know and guess I'll have to post mine on the site so you can send me an email. Then I'll have yours and can send them.
Poot ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login