Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lenar 274-1 Overheats

View my Photos
mhimes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-05          143457

New to forum and read some of the interesting coments. I joined a hunt lease and they have a 274-1 china made tractor. It over heats just going down the road. I used it for tilling and could only complete two laps without stopping to allow cool down. It started to rain and never made me so happy to work in the rain it remained completely cool and the tractor had no problem completing the job. Since I can't wait until it rains to do other work...Does anyone have advice for fixing the overheating problem????thank you in advance....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Lenar 274-1 Overheats

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-06          143468

First off wlcome to the board!!

I would suggest you check that the rad is clogged up with dust and debris. Any machine will heat up under load if the rad is obstructed.

It sounds a lot like what is happening if just a little cool water makes such a difference.

Also check that the fan is in good working order, and that the shroud is not damaged, a good fitting shroud makes all the difference in the world by directing the maximum amount of air across the rad.

If your machine does not have a water pump, lots of the cheaper / older Asian machines don't, the fan is even more critical, consider adding an auxilary electric one in either case. Also be sure the rad is not clogged with sediment and is flowing well.

Best of luck. ....

Lenar 274-1 Overheats

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-07-06          143473

mhimes,

In addition to what Murf wrote, I would suggest that you take a look at the vents in the hood, grill, and lower front panel, if there are any.

The air that comes in through the grill must pass through the engine compartment and back out, in order to properly cool your tractor. Many small tractors have vents cut into the cover panels that surround the engine. These vents are just as critical to the proper operation of the cooling system, as the radiator opening, itself.

Check all hood and cover vents for grass clippings, weed seeds, etc. A smaller paint brush (I use a parts washer brush) works great for this, so long as the tractor isn't running while you're attempting to clean these vents.

If you have access to an air compressor and a wand on the air hose, you could probably solve this problem in less than five minutes. Just be careful not to make direct contact with the radiator, as the wand can easily damage the cooling fins.

At any rate, I believe your problem is very minor in nature, and can quickly be resolved with some simple preventative maintenance.

Joel ....

Lenar 274-1 Overheats

View my Photos
mhimes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-07-06          143474

Hey wow this worked. I think after reading your replys and others that the radiator may have clogged tubes. The tractor can't many hours on it. I would guess less thatn a 10o and everyone at the camp said that they have had a problem since they got it. That is why they took the hood off. Trying to get more air across the engine. The fins and everything is clean and fluid looks clean and green. I will check this weekend to seeif it has a shroud around the fan. I thought the one comment was interesting about the water pump. That possibly it doesnt have one? I don't see a lot of circulation in the top of the radiator when the cap is off and the engine is hot. this make me think mor along the lines of clogged tubes in the radiator. Would there be a way to check without taking the radiator to the shop to be checked. Thanks so much for the replys.. ....

Lenar 274-1 Overheats

View my Photos
Murf

2007-07-06          143476

First off, as crazy as it sounds, in most cases taking the hood off will make the engine run HOTTER, not cooler.

The hood is usually an integral part of the shrouding that forces all the air the fan can make through the radiator and back across the engine itself. If you run the machine with the hood off there is nothing to force the air through the radiator.

As for the flow through the radiator, there are two points that apply.

First, yes, a lot of smaller Asian machines were made with no water pump at all, the convection flow caused by hot water rising, and cool water falling is all that causes the circulation to occur.

Second, all you need to do is to remove the radiator hoses and make up a reducer or something to allow you to put a garden hose to first the outlet side (bottom), then the inlet side (top), and then back and forth till the water runs absolutely clear in both directions.

If that doesn't help, you can always jury-rig a water pump in to circulate the coolant a little more.

Also, if it does have a water pump, check that the thermostat isn't stuck shut (or partly shut) and that the rad cap is making the amount of pressure it's rated for.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login