Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 917 Flail mower question

View my Photos
Redman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-20          66691

I'm looking at a Ford 917 84" flail mower, in very good shape. It has some offset, but what do the specs say the offset should be? I would use it to mow on a road bank and I need a good bit of offset to mow over the ditch edge to get the tall grass down to satisfy the neatness needs of my wife's horse farm. I'll pull it with a JD 4710. I can find the width of the tractor, and I know the mower width, but I need to know the offset to see how much overhang I will have? Where can I get the specs? Also, the mower, yellow in color, is priced at $800. Good or bad? Thanks in advance.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-21          66710

Redman, if your goal is to cut as much past the outside of the tire as possible, you might want to try a little trick we use for cutting roadsides.

Buy a smaller flail mower, like a 5 footer, really common and fairly cheap, then unbolt the 3pth and banjo (gearbox) complete with the drive to the side plate. Then flip the entire 90 degree drive train over so that it goes out the opposite side of the tractor, this should put it out to your right side now (as you sit on the tractor) and bolt the drive back onto the OUTSIDE of the mower. Now make up, or have made up, an extension to connect the now offset mower to the 3pth and to hold the gearbox, etc.

VOILA!, a large offset mower on the cheap.

If this sounds a little too ambitious you could also pickup an old sickle bar mower, but you wont get as nice a cut and you will have to watch out for obstacles more closely.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-27          67280

I'm new here, but one of my "Down the road" wants is something to cut the banks and ditches. Some with major drop offs. Murf's idea sounds interesting, but I couldn't picture it. Do you have a photo or a sketch that would help? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login