Go Bottom Go Bottom

Finish cut for horse pasture

View my Photos
Redmessage
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-30          58614

My wife runs a small horse farm with 25+ acres of pasture to mow. Being a horse farm, she wants a manicured look. I recently purchased a slightly used Land Pride 2584 since the pasture was grass only, no brush or trees. After mowing this weekend, the result was "tremendous". It looks as if it were vacuumed, and for once, the wife is happy with me. It sure helped that I used a JD4710 instead of our older JD4300. The extra power made a lot of difference. FYI only, take care.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-01          58623

There is nothing wrong with your use. I hope it never gets away from you as I think you and your wife will be amazed as to the quality of the grasses that you can grow by mowing it down of a weekly or biweekly minumum. After all for some of the best lawns it's adviseable to mow at three inches any way. ....

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-01          58629

Maybe someone can tell me how to reduce the clumps of grass (other than to mow more often!) that my recently purchased Befco 6" finish mower leaves behind. It has the chain guards in the rear. Would raising or lowering the front end more than the rear help? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-01          58656

This is one of the few drawbacks of a rear discharge mower deck, it is however, a benefit when you let the grass get a little too wild before you get to cutting it. The rear discharge design allows each blade to eject it's cuttings individually which means it can deal with large volumes of clippings faster than side discharge designs.

Unfortunately this design also means that the deck does not get the cumulative effect from all three blades pushing air out the same smaller opening which tends to disipate the clippings rather than leaving them in clumps. I have seen people mount de-thatching type rakes on the rear of the deck, or drag small chain mats or even scraps of wire fencing trying to get rid of this problem, none of them are perfect, but they help a little.

Other than, as you mentioned, keeping it clipped short, there is not much else, liting the front of the deck SLIGHTLY does help some since this basically means you cut the grass twice, a little with the higher front end and a little more with the lower rear end. Unfortunately this also means the back of the deck is tipped down and it will also affect the performance.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-02          58702

Nice reply as always Murf! If you are going to do anything try raising the whole deck and then mow it again in two days. I love a nice lawn, do to the cool spring and now getting some good sun the grass is growing! Every three to four days it is needing mowing. I know it is going to slow down and we will be on the weekly rotation in a week or two but it beats blacktop for looks and feel! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login