Go Bottom Go Bottom

Relief valve in circuit

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-28          194820

I did major rebuild of an old boom mower this pass summer and replaced the flail mower on it with one I was running on excavator which turned out to be same physical size as was on the boom mower.

The mower was a self contained unit for 3pth and pto power. In the rebuild I removed the hyd valves and ran the boom cylinders directly to the tractor remote hydraulic system and just used the pto to power the cutter head. Thought this is great all controls now at finger tip and mower power to the cutter head. All went well to the pump blew which may have happened before the cutter jammed causing the jam or may have happened when it jammed due to pressure build up.
When I found the read of the pto pump pouring oil standing there I realized no relief valve in the system now, dumb. Just did not think of that in the replumbing of the system.

So now need to replace the pump and need to install relief valve. My question is very simple to ask, currently the hoses run from the pump (pressure out side) to the mower head with nothing in the line. It is cut on and off by the pto engaged or disengaged only. Am I correct I need to install a short hose from the pump to the relief valve and then install the hose on to the cutter on the pressure side and on the other side of the relief valve it needs to tie into the return line from the cutter head so the fluid can run through the relief valve back to the tank if the cutter gets jammed or for any reason the pressure gets to high?
Well there is one other question how do you know what pressure relief valve you need? Know it needs to be lower than max for the pump but would the motor on the cutter have a max pressure stamped on it also? Have to remove cover to access it. thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Relief valve in circuit

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-31          194863

You didn't have a relief valve there before?

Relief valve in circuit

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-03          194886

Art if there was it was built into the old valve body I removed to use the tractors remotes in a cab. ....

Relief valve in circuit

View my Photos
Imfedup
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-03          194887

It doesn't seem all that complicated. You haven't mentioned the GPM involved, but one of these might be sufficient. You could install it multiple ways, either inline with one line from pump to/through the relief, and one from there to motor. You can mount the relief somewhere solid, then put a tee in the pressure line with a hose leading to the relief. Either way, the exhaust would lead back to tank.
Not sure if these links will come through, but will try anyway. I would go with the Parker since it's available with O ring ports. I hate pipe thread!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Hydraulic-Relief-Valve-WJL-12-A-3000-/322034430124?hash=item4afabf70ac:g:o5EAAOSwpRRWpA~l ....

Link:   

Click Here

Relief valve in circuit

View my Photos
Imfedup
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-04-03          194888

It doesn't seem all that complicated. You haven't mentioned the GPM involved, but one of these might be sufficient. You could install it multiple ways, either inline with one line from pump to/through the relief, and one from there to motor. You can mount the relief somewhere solid, then put a tee in the pressure line with a hose leading to the relief. Either way, the exhaust would lead back to tank.
Not sure if these links will come through, but will try anyway. I would go with the Parker since it's available with O ring ports. I hate pipe thread!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Hydraulic-Relief-Valve-WJL-12-A-3000-/322034430124?hash=item4afabf70ac:g:o5EAAOSwpRRWpA~l

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Hydraulic-Relief-Valve-WJL-12-A-3000-/322034430124?hash=item4afabf70ac:g:o5EAAOSwpRRWpA~l ....

Link:   

Click Here

Relief valve in circuit

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-04-03          194895

Thanks for the info. It will be two or three weeks before I can get back to this repair. It will begin with the motor on the cutter to verify its specs and then to get replacement pump if my current pump does not have a simple blow seal. Will give feed back then. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login