Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
fayette
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-22          144939

I acquired a 5 ft kubota finish mower, but no PTO shaft. The mower takes a 1 inch round pto hook up and I am having a heck of a time finding one that will hook to the mower. I apologize, but i am not up on the exact names of the parts. Any advice as to where to look for that 1 inch receiver would be great. I realize that I will have to build the shaft, but anything would be great right now.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-22          144945

Fayette,

Is this a belly mower, otherwise known as a mid-mount mower?

Or, is your mower the type that fits on the three-point hitch, behind the tractor?

No matter which mower type you have, you shouldn't have to build anything. PTO drive shafts for these mowers are very common, and you can probably get one locally, or even on Ebay.

You should have a model number tag on your mower. If you can find the model number, this will help you a whole lot.

Joel ....

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-22          144947

Fayette,

I forgot to ask what tractor you are mounting this mower to. A 1" PTO shaft is a very uncommon size.

Most 540 RPM PTO shafts are 1-3/8" with 6 splines.

Joel

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-23          144972

Most dealers as well as tractor parts houses will make shafts cut to length for you with the ends that you need.

You do seem to be headed in the right direction, is it held on with a bolt and what distance is that from the end of the shaft. You will also need to back your tractor in front of it to measure how long of a shaft you need before going. ....

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-24          144977

fayette,
How difficult would it be to drive or haul your tractor with the mower on it to your nearest tractor dealership or tractor supply company. That would make it much simple to be sure you have the proper shaft and length (very important, too short and it comes apart while running dangerous, too long and something gets jammed and probably damaged). If that is not an option, then stop by one and ask how to measure for shaft length.

If you do the measuring, attach the pto shaft to either the tractor or mower and with the test the fit with the mower fully lowered and fully raised and a couple of stops about half way between. The shaft should have the ability to push togehter some at each stop but also should not be about to pull apart. You should be able to feel that movement. kt ....

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
fayette
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-21          145969

Thanks for the advice. I have the Yanmar 2000 with the 6 spline PTO, just as someone said. I am going to check with 2 local tractor supplier shops tomorrow, but I am still having trouble with the 1" round hookup on the mower. I need a 6 spline on one end and the 1" round with/out a hole (I can drill it if I have to). I will measure the length once someone tells me that they have the shaft. One guy told me he could make it, for $550.00. I didn't call him back. ....

Kubota finish mower

View my Photos
jbjpam

2007-09-22          145971

It sounds like you are talking about the shaft coming out
of the gear box. I assume that model would have a clutch
of some sort mounted on the gear box and then connected to
a yoke and drive shaft. You may have to start with a clutch
and work from there. Or find a yoke with the proper I.D. to
fit the shaft already and skip the clutch.
Surpluscenter.com has a good selection of shafts and also
U-joints that could build what you need.
Go to surpluscenter.com and click power transmission.
You will see the shafts in pictures below. Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login