Go Bottom Go Bottom

Belarus turns over won t start

View my Photos
noknowledge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-25          172566

Hi there, posting for my husband. We have a Belarus 520 that we belive was made sometime in the 70's. We really know nothing about tractors. The tractor will turn over however it just won't start. It doesn't even fire. The tractor was getting harder and harder to start where it would just turn over and over, and then it would eventually catch. Now, it won't start at all. Does anyone have any suggestion regarding what we can do? Thanks for your help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-25          172570

Diesel or gas?

Have you checked the obvious: air filter, fuel filter, clean/fresh fuel? ....

View my Photos
noknowledge

2010-07-25          172572

Hi there, it's diesel, and yes he has checked everything you mentioned. He seems to think it may be the glow plugs. Is that a possibility?

thanks! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-25          172573

When it cranks, what color is the exhaust? No color means no fuel.

Glow plugs, perhaps, but it needs fuel to burn first.

Get around the glow plugs by a SMALL shot of starting fluid, then crank.

Lemme know what happens. ....

View my Photos
noknowledge

2010-07-25          172575

OK, I think we're getting somewhere! Like I said, my husband really doesn't know anything about tractors...I can tell you there was no exhaust when he was trying to start it today. He did give it a shot of starting fluid and nothing happened.

There is fuel in the tank so that means it isn't getting through, correct? Maybe he didn't check all the things you mentioned. He has left to go out of town for a week, so I'm hoping I can have some info for him on his return.

What do you suggest for the next steps? I can't thank you enough, this is just great! Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-07-25          172577

Rut-roh Raggy. If it won't kick with ether, it sounds like it's just plain worn out and doesn't have compression, or the head gasket is blown. But based on you saying it took longer and longer to start, my guess it's the former. A good rebuild could be more than double what the tractor's worth---$5000 is average and as much as $8000. Also, typically an engine with good compression will lock up when ether is used in large quantities and will not come loose until the ether evaporates or leaks down.

The next step is take it to a diesel shop and have them pressure check the cylinders. For example my diesel New Holland 33 hp tractor needs around 500 PSI at each cylinder.

Other posters here have had same issue and found they only had 100 psi. That's about what a gas car engine has.

Kinda putting the cart before the horse, but if it looks like it's not worth rebuilding...

Push comes to shove he may be able to just install new rings in it and eek out a few hundred hours more.

Might also want invest in a new one and sell the machine in parts on craigslist or ebay. I sold many a thing including a generator to a guy in Mexico--and I'm in Michigan! His brother was in town and he asked him to pick it up and bring it back to Mexico on the way back. ....

View my Photos
noknowledge

2010-07-25          172579

Well Earthwrks, thanks so much....I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix. I think they saw us coming when we bought that contraption! Thanks again for everything, you were very helpful! Have a great night! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-07-26          172597

Whooops, back that thing up a second Jeff.

A Belarus is a big old Russian bear, built for Russian winters.

They have a decompression lever that opens (depending on the model, the exhaust valve, or sometimes a third valve, a little to allow you to get the engine cranking over in frigid weather without all that compression slowing things down.

If someone accidentally moved that lever it would do exactly what you're describing.

Whereabouts in Ontario are you out of curiousity? I could maybe suggest someone trustworthy nearby who could have a look at it for you.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
noknowledge

2010-07-26          172598

Hey Murph, thanks for jumping in! We are just south of North Bay. These valves and levers your talking about, where would they be located? My husband is always moving levers and turning things, so it's quite possible what you are suggesting may have happened. Anxious to hear back.

Thanks!! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-07-26          172599

No problem, always happy to help, or at least try!

Usually the lever would be next to or at least near the fuel pump/water separator/filter housing on the side of the engine. If you have any kind of manual, have a look there.

Otherwise the head office for Belarus is near Barrie, Ontario, just a few hours south of you, have a service support team, I put a link to their website below. Click on "Service Questions" in blue on the bottom right of the page.

Best of luck.

Link:   Belarus Canada

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-07-26          172605

My bad. My experience is limited to modern small diesels.

So (on bended knee taking off my hat) I defer to Murf. ....

View my Photos
noknowledge

2010-07-26          172610

LOL....why thank you kind Sir, your advice was most informative. I will post the results of the Great Murf's suggestions on the weekend! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-07-26          172613

Murf's a little sensitive about nicknames, like the Great.

He prefers King or Your Highness.

If you stick around long enough here you'll hear from KT or Kenny (my nickname for him amongst others is Oh Wiseazzed One).

Me, not so much. Although, I was once introduced to my neighbor's guests as "our neighbor Jeff". I told the guest I prefer Doctor. The lady touched her chest and says, "oh my you're a Doctor?". I told her no I just prefer Doctor. That got a chuckle. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-07-27          172631

Easy now Jeff, I have a lot of hats, I don't want to have to replace them all just because of all those compliments now!

;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
noknowledge

2010-07-27          172643

Doctor Jeff and King Murf!! Who knew! I had no idea of all the many things I would learn when I signed up for this forum!! I can't wait til I have a medical question! ;) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-07-28          172655

noknowledge, please hang around. Think you might be just what the doctor ordered. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login